UPD investigating report of sexual assault, Aug. 31 update: false report

UPD alerted the university of a sexual assault in the Wellness Center on Aug. 22.
Photo by Keri Weiland

Update on Crime Alert sent Aug. 22, 2012

The female UNF student who claimed she was sexually assaulted in the women’s locker room of the Student Wellness Complex last week has admitted to police she made up the story. The UPD has charged her with filing a false police report.
Over the past year, several students at UNF have filed false police reports, which served to compounded their problems by adding criminal charges. For students who are feeling overwhelmed and in need of guidance, the University has a number of on-campus resources available to them including the Counseling Center and the Women’s Center. We urge any student in need of help to reach out to these or other support programs on or off campus. We are here to help.

More information on crime alert for Aug. 22, 2012

The University Police Department is investigating a report of a sexual assault.  A female UNF student said she was in the Women’s locker room of the Student Wellness Complex at 9 p.m. yesterday (Aug. 21, 2012).  She said she was confronted by a man who sexually assaulted her.  She described the man as in his early 20s, 5 foot 10 to 6 feet tall, dark blonde hair, wearing a gray tank top, blue shorts and white tennis shoes.  She reported the assault to police late this afternoon (Aug. 22, 2012).  Anyone with information is asked to call the UPD at (904) 620-2800.

Posted as of Aug. 22 8p.m.: According to UNF’s Osprey Update Special Edition released Aug. 22:

Crime alert for Aug. 22, 2012
The University Police Department is investigating a report of a sexual assault.  A female UNF student said she was in the Women’s locker room of the Student Wellness Complex at 9 p.m. yesterday (Aug. 21, 2012).  She said she was confronted by a man who sexually assaulted her.  She described the man as 5 foot 10 to 6 feet tall, dark brown hair, wearing a gray tank top, blue shorts and white tennis shoes.  She reported the assault to police late this afternoon (Aug. 22, 2012).  Anyone with information is asked to call the UPD at (904) 620-2800.