UNF golf wins Hayt Invitational, Phelan medalist

Photo Credit: Todd Drexler Senior Kevin Phelan holds the first place trophy after claiming the top spot at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational
Photo Credit: Todd Drexler
Senior Kevin Phelan holds the first place trophy after claiming the top spot at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational

Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. — The UNF men’s golf team captured its first victory of the season in blow out fashion, claiming the top spot in the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational.

The tournament, played at the prestigious Sawgrass Country Club, began play on Sunday and was scheduled to end on Tuesday but it was ended after Monday’s round due to weather conditions.

No. 30 ranked UNF posted a total team score of 17-under (559), 12 strokes ahead of No. 9 Duke University (-5). University of Central Florida (+9) placed third and University of Florida (+11) tied for fourth.

Senior Kevin Phelan fired two stellar rounds of 8-under (64) and 5-under (67) to finish at 13-under to win medalist honors. Senior Sean Dale finished in second place with a two-day total of 9-under par (135).

Freshman Joe Stepnes placed 6th, with a final score of 3-under (141) and M.J. Maguire finished tied for 18th with a final score of 1-over par (145).

UNF will travel to Statesboro, GA. to play in the A.T. Schenkel Invitational hosted by Georgia Southern beginning Mar. 15.