UNF soccer player caught drinking and driving

Photo by Keri Weiland
Photo by Keri Weiland

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. —  A member of one of UNF’s soccer teams**, was caught driving under the influence of alcohol Friday, Aug. 2.

The player was given a field sobriety test by a University Police Department officer and blew more than five-times the legal limit for a person under 21-years-old, according to the incident report.

UPD officer J. Guppenberger was driving behind the teen around 2:40 a.m. that Friday when the officer noticed the tag light was out on the car.

Officer Guppenberger activated the lights on the UPD vehicle and pulled the player over in Lot #55 next to The Fountains.

When Guppengerger approached the vehicle, he noticed the driver had glassy eyes and their breath smelled of alcohol, according to the report.

The soccer player said they were coming from a party and had a few drinks within the hour, according to Guppenberger.

Sometime during the process the underage drinker identified them-self as a member of the UNF soccer team.

The player was asked to conduct some field sobriety exercises, and failed miserably. The player did “poorly” on the one-leg stand and “did not perform the count correctly”, according to the report.

The UPD officer asked, and the player consented to a breath test. The first blow showed an alcohol level of 0.108 and the second test showed 0.111, according to UPD. The legal limit for a person under 21 is .02 and the limit for a person over 21 is .08.

The young Osprey surrendered their license and was released from the scene.

Officer Guppenberger issued the driver a verbal warning for their broken tag light and a notice of suspension of their license, according to the report.

The player in question has continued to participate in pre-season practice and played in the exhibition match over the weekend.

**Editors Note: The player’s gender and name was not designated due Spinnaker Media’s policies