Online voting is coming to UNF

Students will soon be able to vote from home. Graphic by Daniela Guerrero

Every fall and spring semester, Student Government sets up polling centers around campus where students can vote on new representatives.

This year, the Elections and Appointments Committee is working to allow students to vote from home.

Emily Antworth, Elections and Appointments Committee Chair, said she felt like it was time to start looking into this.
Antworth said, “Everyone’s on their phones. Everyone’s on their computers all the time. I think that’s kind of a growing direction that we are going in.”

According to the March 2012-13 Osprey Voice Survey, 79.3 percent of students said they were in favor of online voting, while 20.7 percent of students said no.

Jordan Carter, psychology freshman, said she would rather vote in person at the polling centers.

Natalie Kosin, international business senior, said she would rather vote online.
Kosin said, “It’s more comfortable. You can do it at home and you’re not in a hurry. You can do it spontaneously.”

Jared Mallard, exercise science senior, said no to voting online.
Mallard said, “The only reason I voted last year was because you all annoyed me and gave me free food.”

Benjamin Nelson, electrical engineering junior, said he likes the voting how it is.

The online voting software is being developed by UNF Information Technology Services.
Access to the software and voting results will be limited to ITS and Daniel Choisser, the IT staff member for Student Government. The Elections and Appointments Committee will have access to the results through Choisser.

Antworth said she hopes the system will be in place by Spring elections. It will be accessible through school or personal computers, and from a mobile device.
Antworth said hacking was a big concern. To prevent this, students must log into the system using their N number and password and the system will only allow a student to vote once.

Despite an online voting system, polling centers will still be set up. Antworth said the online voting will be for students who just want to get their vote in and their voices heard.

Email Sarah Ricevuto at [email protected]