Men’s soccer unable to finish chances, lose 2-0 to Wofford

Brad Sienkiewicz limits Western Illinois to one goal Friday. (Photo: Garrett Haupt )

UNF travelled to Spartanburg where an undefeated Wofford shut them out, 2-0.

“They are a tough team,” said head coach Derek Marinatos. “We tried to learn from last Saturday’s mistakes during the week. Coming in we told our guys that they are a team who works hard and is dangerous on set pieces.”

Wofford (5-3-1) were undefeated at home coming into the game, adding to the challenge the Ospreys (4-2-1) faced.

Marinatos said the team looked strong in the first 20 to 30 minutes of the game but could not keep the ball in the attacking third, something they worked on during the week.

A miscue in the back between keeper Brad Sienkiewicz and his defense had Charlie Keeney of Wofford open in the back post for a tap in goal at 30th  minute.

Sienkiewicz racked up 5 saves against Wofford, who had a total of 19 shots while UNF only had 4.

“We were better coming out of the back which was something we worked on during the week,” said Marinatos. “We could’ve won the game, only down one going into half, we had a chance.”

Sylwester Szczesniewicz had a shot off the post that should have been finished, said Marinatos.

The coach also said that UNF were chasing the game in the second half, instead of its game plan of holding the ball in the attacking third and wearing them down.

“We don’t need 4 or 5 passes in the attacking third, we want 20 to tire them out,” said Marinatos.

The set pieces that the coaching staff stressed to the players would be the cause of the second goal.

A long throw from Billy Padula found a wide open Connor Davis on a header in the 70th minute.

With non-conference play closing, UNF look ahead to East Tennessee State University (2-3-2) for its first conference match of the season.

Marinatos said that ETSU will be a tough team and well prepared as they come to play in Jacksonville Friday night.