Police Beat Sept. 30

Logo-policebeat5Sept. 19 -27 – Burglary (Bldg 57 or Lot 2)

A professor’s parking pass was stolen from her car. The professor said she had her pass hanging from her rearview mirror, and noticed that it was missing  on Sept. 27.  The professor said she typically parks in Bldg 57 or in Lot 2. She stated that she occasionally leaves her car unlocked. The vehicle was not checked for prints due to the time lapse since the theft. Investigation is ongoing.

Sept. 27 – Car Collision (Bldg 38)

A vehicle rounding a corner in Parking Garage 38 struck a parked car’s rear bumper. The parked car’s plastic bumper was dangling, only partially attached to the car.  The vehicle which had struck the parked car suffered a flat tire. No individuals were hurt during the collision.

Sept. 27 – Accidental Injury (Lot 12)

A construction worker was injured on a job site near Lot 12. At approximately 12 p.m., one of the construction workers was struck on the head by a concrete block that fell from a scaffold. The worker was wearing a hard hat and safety glasses, but sustained a head injury. Rescue 28 and Ladder 28 responded to the scene and administered first aid.  The worker was transported to Shands with non life-threatening injuries.

Sept. 28 – Battery (The Fountains)

An officer was dispatched to the Fountains to investigate a report of battery. Upon arrival, the officer met the suspect, a student, who was very intoxicated and had bloody marks on his face, and blood on his clothing. The student had a possible broken nose, and complained of jaw pain. The officer then requested that a rescue unit respond.

The suspect was too intoxicated to provide any witness information. When the rescue unit arrived to transport the suspect to the Mayo Clinic, the suspect became combative, and was strapped to a gurney for transportation.

Two individuals at the scene told the officer that a dark Land Rover had pulled up to the Fountains and those in the car were fighting with the suspect as they attempted to remove him from the vehicle. Another officer found the described vehicle, and detained them until the first officer could arrive.

The witnesses in the Land Rover stated that they had picked up the suspect from Kernan, as he was too intoxicated to drive, and dropped him off at the Fountains. When attempting to drop the suspect off, the suspect struck one of the witnesses, now a victim, in the back of the head before he exited the vehicle, and struck him again when the victim  was outside of the vehicle.

The victim pushed the suspect, who fell to the ground, striking his head on the concrete, before re-entering the vehicle and punching the seats.  After a few minutes the suspect exited the vehicles, and the two individuals drove the Land Rover away with the doors locked.

The victim chose not to prosecute the suspect, saying that they were friends, and the suspect just had too much to drink. The suspect was referred to Student Conduct.

Sept. 28 – Marijuana (The Crossings)

An officer was dispatched to a room at The Crossings, in reference to a reported marijuana odor. The officer met with the Resident Assistant (RA) and the suspect, a student, who gave the officer permission to enter his room. The RA stated that when conducting her rounds, three individuals exited the room smelling of marijuana.

The suspect stated that he and the others had been smoking a joint. When asked if there were any more drugs in the room, the suspect responded in the negative. The officer was given permission to search the room and discovered a grinder with marijuana residue, a bottle with marijuana residue, a scale, a glass pipe with marijuana residue, and a small safe with marijuana residue.

The student was given a Notice to Appear, and was referred to Student Conduct.

Sept. 29 – Marijuana (Osprey Fountains)

An officer was sent to an Osprey Fountains room in reference to the odor of marijuana. The officer asked the suspect if there were any narcotics in his room. The student answered in the affirmative, and led the officer to his room, where they were met by three other students. The individuals produced 3.2 grams of marijuana, a glass pipe with residue, and a metal grinder with residue from a desk.

Two students claimed possession of the items, and all four individuals were referred to Student Conduct.

Email Joseph Cook at [email protected]