Recipe Rave: Easy Peasy Broccoli Stir Fry

Here’s a super simple recipe (catch that title?) that even the most dazed and confused Osprey would have a hard time screwin’ up.

First, you’ll need:

1 frozen bag of broccoli (the equivalent of the fresh stuff rings in at about a cup and a half)
1 cup of brown rice
2/3 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of garlic (or more depending on your taste, more for me!)
optional: ginger (powdered or sauce or the actual root, if you have it or enjoy the taste)

Next, knock out these idiot-proof steps:

1. Start by boiling your rice with whatever amount of water the bag’s instructions calls for (each brand usually has a specific amount that they suggest using, it would be on the back of the bag). Make sure this is almost finished cooking before you begin the next step.

2. Thaw your broccoli. Add to a big pan and start the sauté process by putting the burner at medium heat. Add the soy sauce, garlic and then the brown sugar slowly so that it dissolves all the way. If you’re going for the ginger, add that too. Once everything is mixed, cover with a lid and let simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat, making sure that it’s not too high so you don’t burn anything. Giving it a check here and there would probably be beneficial, too.

3. Add your rice to the pan of your broccoli deliciousness. Put the lid back on, and let sit so that the rice can absorb the flavors. Keep on low heat, stirring occasionally until you’re ready to serve.

4. Chow down. Simple enough.

This recipe’s price tag is mondo cheap, to boot! It also gets more flavorful the longer it sits in its juices, so go ahead and make a bunch for lunch the next day or a late night snack. I’ve even made this with a freezer-burned bag of broccoli and salvaged it. How’s that for magic?