UNF men’s basketball beats JU 77-50

Behind an explosive offensive night, the University of North Florida Ospreys rolled over the Jacksonville University Dolphins with a 77-50 victory in the UNF Arena on Feb. 6.

In front of a high energy crowd, five Ospreys ended the night in double digits. Beau Beech, UNF junior starting forward, led the way with 16 points. Trent Mackey, UNF junior guard, hit four from behind the arc with 14 points for the night. On the defensive front, Chris Davenport, UNF sophomore starting forward, pulled down eight boards off the glass. Demarcus Daniels, UNF junior forward, had three blocks stopping any momentum the Dolphins had.

Coming out of the gate with a fast start, the Ospreys (15-10) controlled the court. With this victory, the Ospreys are the stand-only leaders of the Atlantic Sun Conference. For the Dolphins (7-18), key player Kori Babineaux, starting guard, scored 23 points, carrying his team on his shoulders. The Dolphins missed opportunities early in the second half, leading up to the Ospreys’ lead.

“I’ll be real honest with you, I thought — the first half — I was pleased. I told my guys I was pleased with the way they played. We tried really to control the game. I thought we did a really good job with that,” Dolphins Head Coach Tony Jasick said. “We just couldn’t stick to the discipline — the detail that we play with — to really make any headway in the second half.”

In response to tonight’s play over the Dolphins, UNF Head Coach Matthew Driscoll said, “It was really a great team effort. With five guys in double figures, that’s huge.”

Next on the men’s schedule is a road trip to Spartanburg, S.C. to play against the USC Upstate Spartans on Thursday, Feb. 12 with a tipoff at 7 p.m. This will be a chance to seek revenge against their only A-Sun loss this season.
Gallery photos by Camille Shaw

[doptg id=”115″]

*2/7/2015 at 11:42 p.m. – Updated with video

*2/9/2015 at 8:50 p.m. – Updated with better quality video

For more information, news tips, or if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].