UNF player drafted by Chicago Cubs

Donnie Dewees will be the second player from UNF in the past two seasons to be drafted by a professional baseball teamPhoto courtesy SE Sports Media
Donnie Dewees will be the second player from UNF in the past two seasons to be drafted by a professional baseball team.
Photo courtesy SE Sports Media
The UNF outfielder bats and throws left-handed and had a .422 batting average for the 2015 season.Photo courtesy SE Sports Media
The UNF outfielder bats and throws left-handed and had a .422 batting average for the 2015 season.
Photo courtesy SE Sports Media

The Chicago Cubs drafted Osprey outfielder Donnie Dewees in the second round of the 2015 MLB Draft. Along with his mother, Deborah, and a large mix of family and friends, Dewees patiently waited last night for his name to be called.

“I love him, I support him, wish him the best and I know he is going to go far in life,” Deborah Dewees said in regards to her son’s dream of playing professional baseball coming true.

For Dewees and his family, the celebration will continue in the days to come when he travels back home to Crystal River, Florida to see more friends and family who couldn’t be with him last night.

In a draft class of many high schools and colleges, Dewees was the second player to be selected by the Cubs and 47th pick overall in the 2015 Draft.

For more information, news tips, or if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].