UNF volleyball falls to FGCU in Atlantic Sun showdown

2. UNF volleyball
The Ospreys fell to 4-18 all-time against the Eagles with the loss. Photo by Kristen Smith

UNF volleyball lost to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 3-1 in the Atlantic Sun Conference top-three showdown on Oct. 16. FGCU leads the all-time series over UNF 18-4.

The Eagles (15-7 overall, 5-1 A-Sun) remain in second place in the conference while the Ospreys (16-6 overall, 3-3 A-Sun) dropped to fourth after the matchup.

In the first set, the Ospreys trailed early with the Eagles up 20-13. UNF rallied until the Eagles capitalized on a UNF error to seal the point 26-24. UNF would struggle in the second set 25-15 before taking the third set 25-18. FGCU won the match after a tight 25-23 fourth set. 

UNF volleyball Head Coach Steve Loeswick said better sets could have led to better results.

“Towards the end of some of sets, we fought really well and played some smart volleyball,” Loeswick said. “We just have to make sure that we have stronger starts in some of those sets.”

1. Junior Kimberly Ferguson, UNF volleyball defensive specialist
Junior Kimberly Ferguson, UNF volleyball defensive specialist.
Photo by Kristen Smith.

Eagles senior outside hitter Eleonora Kazarian had a match-high 16 kills.

UNF junior middle blocker Carina Hoff had a team-high 10 kills, while senior outside hitter Ambre Desaulnay added nine kills in the match.

Desaulnay said having one set point during the match added to the team’s progress, despite the loss.

“I think it made us confident because I think we are better than [FGCU],” Desaulnay said. “We should have a win, but I think we need to take it slowly and get better everyday. That’s what we are trying to do.”

Next, the Ospreys will face the Stetson Hatters on Oct.17 at the UNF Arena. UNF’s all-time series record against the Hatters is 16-5.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact sports@unfspinnaker.com.