Profile: Who is Sigma Beta Rho?

(null)
Members of the Sigma Beta Rho fraternity.
Photo courtesy of Sigma Beta Rho

Sigma Beta Rho is the first national multicultural fraternity. Since its establishment in 1996, the Sigma Beta Rho (SBR) has been active in 21 states with 45 chapters, totaling to 3270 members nationwide. With a multicultural brotherhood, the fraternity is dedicated to promoting cultural awareness and spreading the positive message of diversity.

Sigma Beta Rho president Rishav Sarangi. Photo by Danae Leake

For the chapter at the University of North Florida, there are 11 different nationalities within the brotherhood, spanning from Middle Eastern to Asian to Hispanic demographics. 

“We do not discriminate based on creed or race,” said SBR President Rishav Sarangi, who has been the president for two academic semesters. Sarangi said the three pillars that found the fraternity’s philosophy are society, brotherhood, and remembrance.

When it comes to manifesting the pillar of society, the UNF chapter of SBR focuses its philanthropy work on raising money for orphaned children in villages, specifically with the SOS Children’s Villages.

The UNF chapter was founded in the spring of 2014 by four founders, and Sarangi followed as second president of the fraternity.
There are currently 20 members, with 16 active members in the fraternity.