Inside the Huddle: Goodbye, Kobe

inside-the-huddle-landscape_caitlynbroyles-01

ITHPhotos

In this week’s Inside the Huddle, the Spinnaker Sports squad is reflecting on the legend that is Kobe Bryant, who announced over the weekend that he is planning on retiring at the end of this season. Joining us in this farewell tribute to Kobe is Spinnaker’s print distributor Raza Shareef.

So sports nerds, how will you remember Kobe Bryant once he retires?

Christian Ayers: In my early childhood, Michael Jordan was at the tail end of his career with my beloved Chicago Bulls, but he was still the best of the best. By the time I was 10, MJ was already fading, giving way for Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal to dominate the league with L.A. As I grew into my teen years, Kobe was the man, or Mamba, to beat and there was no other player like him and no one I would trust more to take a last second shot with a game on the line. I think the most prevalent impact Kobe has left on me are those moments when a friend, classmate, colleague, stranger, or I shoot a paper ball or some other piece of garbage into a trash can. That’s because no matter if they make it or miss it, everyone who has ever done that has always said one player’s name as they took the shot. Kobe!

Joslyn Simmons: Kobe Bryant has to be in the top five greatest basketball players ever to play the game. From his lethal shooting to his strong leadership, Kobe is leaving behind a legacy. Kobe has gained fame as a Laker over his 20-year career and I believe he will still gain more in his retirement. For him not to play college ball, and not only handle the big dogs but become one himself is a story out of a movie. Nobody can compare to Kobe.

Al Huffman: Kobe Bryant is a man who hasn’t gotten enough credit in recent years. The Black Mamba entered the NBA at age 17, he needed a parent’s signature to validate his rookie contract. You know what I was doing when I was 17? I was playing video games and swooning over Caroline from Spanish class. Everybody is licking Lebron’s butt for winning two championships with a supporting class loaded with future hall of famers, only to amount to nothing once he went back to Cleveland. Meanwhile Kobe’s best teammate from his most recent of five championships fell off the face of the earth until he was found looking like he was reenacting a death scene from Breaking Bad somewhere in Vegas. Then again if I was married to one of the Kardashians I’d eventually end up the same way. Michael Jordan will probably always be the best player of all time, but Kobe was the Jordan of my generation. Here’s to hoping that Steph Curry will fill the Kobe void once he’s gone, but as a Boston fan I also hope the Lakers never recover from losing him and remain a laughing stock forever. Go Celtics!!

Raza Shareef: My number one favorite memory of Kobe was the 2006-2007 season when he was scoring 40 like it was nothing. The one play that stands out is when they were playing in L.A. against Portland and he shot a baseline fade away three to take a 3-point lead, and he did it over 2 opposing players. He made it look easy. Kobe was a cold dude and the man was a bucketeer. He was all about buckets and he was all about rings. I’ll miss his dominance, tenacity, and his love for the game.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].