6 Beach Activities to Heat Up Your Summer

Heading to the beach this summer and want to do something else other than getting pruny in the cold Atlantic, suffering first-degree sunburn or showing off some sandy cheeks? Here’s a list of things that we think are a bit more exciting than people watching and trying to hide your “soda” in a red solo cup.

1.      Beach Sports: Grab your friends and hit the beach with a frisbee, soccer ball, football, volleyball or any other balls you can get your hands on. Enjoy the nostalgia of playing catch with your pals while enjoying that hot Florida sun. Whether it’s pick-up game with fellow beach goers or just exchanging throws with a friend or two, you can’t go wrong with the old-school remedies of passing time.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
  2.     BEACH GAMES: Set up bocce ball, bean bags or spike ball and grab a group. These games are an instant favorite among groups of people. Never played Spike Ball? It’s as competitive as it is fun, and everyone will want to play. Even if you don’t have Spike Ball, don’t forget the classics: corn hole and bocce ball.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
  3. Skim Boarding: Unless you’re a surfer or an aspiring surfer, skim-boarding, and even boogie boarding, are great alternatives for enjoying the natural energy of the ocean. You don’t need to “hang-10” or ride the “big kahuna” or any whatever other surf jargon there is. There’s nothing wrong with succumbing to amateur hour–just remember to have fun.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
  4.     Building Sandcastles: No, you didn’t read that wrong. You want to talk about nostalgia? Grab your bucket and shovel and let’s go craft. Your castle doesn’t need to be architecturally detailed, a simple bucket shape will do fine, just be sure to add a sea oat on top for some flavor, that way it’s officially “art.” But don’t be that guy who tries to replicate the Taj Mahal, dig the deepest hole, or build the biggest castle with a moat and sharks. Nobody likes those guys.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
  5.     Kayaking: Indulge in the wonders of the mysterious, pristine, Atlantic Ocean. Rent an ocean kayak from Eco Adventures on campus and be one with the sea. A particularly calm day is recommended and encouraged for taking one out, but if you’re feeling risky don’t hesitate to bare the breaks of the waves as they pummel over you. Enjoy the beauties of marine life as dolphins, stingrays and fish begin to enter the same boundaries as you. Even if you’re not experiencing the nautical marine life, you can easily obtain an ideal spot for comfort and peace. Paddle out and wrap yourself in serendipity. Life can be tough sometimes, relax on a kayak.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
  6.     Camping: While only a few beaches actually allow camping, Huguenot Beach is the cool uncle of beach camping. Waking up to that beautiful East Coast sunrise is a whole lot cooler when it’s in a tent. Lay out watching the stars at night, and get up when your tent becomes an oven. Just remember what they say about how stressful camping can be. It’s in tents.
     Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.
    Graphic by Kaitlin Sinardi.

Whether you’re heading to the beach to catch some rays, swim in the ocean or pretend spring break didn’t end, try a better alternative to having fun with friends— or just enjoy the natural beauty we have right in our own backyard.