Two Ospreys selected in the MLB Draft

The 2016 Major League Baseball Draft was a three-day event in which over a thousand names were called, including two North Florida Ospreys.

Keith Skinner. Photo courtesy of North Florida Ospreys.

Keith Skinner:  Round: 7 (218th overall) Team: New York Yankees

Senior Catcher Keith Skinner led the Atlantic Sun with a .382 batting average this year, and his 36 walks was third best. He struck out once every 15.1 at-bats, making him the 28th toughest player to strike out in the country. His fielding percentage of .997 was the second best in UNF’s history, and he threw out 17 runners attempting to steal this season.

Skinner was an Atlantic Sun First Team All-Conference selection this season. He is also one of three finalists still in the running for the Johnny Bench award, which is given to the nation’s best catcher.

Bryan Baker. Photo courtesy of North Florida Ospreys.

Bryan Baker: Round: 11 (320th overall) Team: Colorado Rockies

Senior pitcher Brian Baker was a workhorse for the Ospreys, pitching a team-high 83.1 innings. His 80 strike outs were 24 more than any other UNF pitcher this season, and his six wins tied him for the team lead. Baker struck out 11 batters in four innings against Penn in early March, which was a career high.

Baker was a unanimous First Team All-Conference selection this season and has made two appearances on the A-SUN Academic Honor Roll.