The Weekend Ahead: June 24-26

Graphic by Ben Cross
Graphic by Ben Cross

Summer has officially begun, and UNF’s campus could not be more prepared. No matter what subject students may be studying, they are sure to find an event that grabs their attention this weekend.

Friday, June 24: Summer B Pool Party

What: Put on your bathing suit and strut your way up to the Happy Grilled Cheese food truck. After finishing the free gooey goodness that’s been away from campus for too long, mosey around in the pool. Maybe even win some free stuff from Osprey Productions while you’re at it. Osprey 1 Cards are required for admittance.

When: 1-5 p.m.

Where: Osprey Clubhouse

Friday, June 24: Astronomy Night

What: Join the Physics Department’s professors and students as they observe space through their new 14 inch telescope, which will allow students to view our solar system, nebulae and stars other than the one that keeps Florida hot throughout the year. The first hour is for reservations only, but anyone is welcome from 10 to 11 p.m.

When: 9-11 p.m.

Where: Science and Engineering Building rooftop

Friday, June 24 – Saturday, June 25: Freedom Fest

What: Get pumped for the Fourth of July with conventional concert food (think hamburgers and hotdogs), bouncy houses and live music from Christian artists such as Britt Nicole, Matthew West, Colton Dixon and more. Tickets are $15 per person at the gate.

When: Friday: 6-9:30 p.m. ; Saturday: 4-9:30 p.m.

Where: Christ’s Church

Saturday, June 25: Food Truck Wars

What: Be a part of this state-wide food truck competition by judging the savory food for yourself. Forty of Florida’s food trucks, 19 of which are home to Jacksonville, will compete for six awards ranging from Delectable Dessert and Casual Cuisine. Parking and admission are free, and part of the proceeds will be poured back into our community. Attendees only have to pay for the food they eat, which ranges from $3 to $18, according the the Food Truck Wars website.

When: 3-9 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville Landing

Saturday, June 25: Summer B A Cappella Performance

What: Enjoy music from a variety of genres and maybe even join in as Six Appeal, a cleverly named six member male a cappella group, puts on a show. Students must have their Osprey 1 Card to see the show, but each UNF student can bring one non-student guest.

When: 8 p.m.

Where: Andrew A. Robinson Theater

Saturday, June 25: Pride Celebration Day

What: Travel downtown with UNF’s LGBT Resource Center and other LGBT support groups to celebrate Pride Celebration Day. MOSH will pack the day with performances from Tomboi and Girls Rock Camp, free HIV testing, a showing of Person, lectures and much more. This event is free and open to the public.

When: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Where: MOSH