Local Eatery of the Week: Biggie’s Pizza

Courtney Stringfellow

Biggie's Pizza on Third Street takes pride in serving slices as big as the ones in New York. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Biggie’s Pizza on Third Street takes pride in serving slices as big as the ones in New York. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Pizzas with names like “The Bianca,” “Benny Blanco” and “Mary Jane Pesto” sit beside each other like old schoolmates on the bleachers at Biggie’s Pizza on Third Street.

Overhead fans seem to be the only system circulating air, and the revolving door doesn’t help customers escape from temperatures approaching 100 degrees outside.

Pop music, industrial lighting and faux brick walls embellished with graffiti make this pizza joint a great pit stop for Ospreys on the way to the beach.

Melted cheese sounds delicious to everyone without a dairy allergy, but try to limit yourself to one slice of pizza. UNF students who are convinced their stomachs have no limit should order an appetizer or dessert. I ordered two different slices of pizza and still have some left in the fridge — this is after I had some for dinner at Biggie’s Pizza and lunch on campus.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Pesto Cheese Bread appetizer. The pesto made parts of the bread a little soggy, but overall this footlong sub is a great started for larger groups.

The Pesto Cheese Bread is big enough to share with seven friends. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

As far as pizza goes, customers can order a slice from one of the aptly named gourmet pizza pies or create their own cheesy fare. The Bianca Pie is a simple three-cheese pizza with roasted garlic. If you’re in the mood for cheese pizza but want something with a little more texture, order this.

The only downside to ordering a slice of pizza from the display case is that, for obvious reasons, it isn’t as fresh as a newly made one. Either way, the kitchen serves big slices in under five minutes.

I also created my own with sun-dried tomatoes, fresh pineapple and grilled chicken. One of my pet peeves is when I order a pizza from a pricier joint and they skimp on pizza toppings. Biggie’s Pizza isn’t one of those places — they put more toppings on my slice than I do at home.

Biggie's Pizza doesn't skimp on toppings, so students are guaranteed to get their money's worth of food at this pizza joint. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Biggie’s Pizza doesn’t skimp on toppings, so students are guaranteed to get their money’s worth of food at this pizza joint. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Martini’s Zeppoles won’t melt between your fingers like hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts will, but this dessert has the potential to burn them if you aren’t careful. This powdered sugar covered pastry comes with a side of hot raspberry or chocolate dipping sauce — you get to decide.

Biggie's Pizza serves zeppoles so fresh they can burn your fingers, so be careful. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Biggie’s Pizza serves zeppoles so fresh they can burn your fingers, so be careful. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow

Biggie’s Pizza is a little higher up on the budget than some other local eateries, but its portions are larger. Ospreys looking for a better version of Costco’s large pizzas should head on over to the beach. Just remember to order a water.

1 Comment

One Response to “Local Eatery of the Week: Biggie’s Pizza”

1. Sherry Samora on July 15th, 2016 9:08 pm

Courtney Stringfellow is a well spoken journalist in whom I enjoy very much. I cannot wait to see where her travels lead next. She writes in a way that gives visual clarity to the subject at hand. She is one I will follow for years to come!

[Reply]

• Local Eatery of the Week: Biggie’s Pizza

‘Rough Night’ is a rough hour and 40 minutes

Allie X Picks Up the Pieces on ‘CollXtion II’

‘It Comes At Night’ a must-see for horror fanatics

‘Wonder Woman’ Saves DC

Quick Game Reviews: The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile and Charlie Murder

‘Alien: Covenant’ bursts into the franchise’s top 3

Hits and misses, bold changes for Paramore in “After Laughter”

Spinnaker Does Shaky Knees: May 14th, 2017

‘Snatched’ briefly captures audience but fails to hold attention

Welcome to Talos-1: Prey offers gamers 16 hours of gameplay