The Week Ahead: August 22-28

+Graphic+by+Ben+Cross
Graphic by Ben Cross

Welcome back Ospreys! The fall semester is underway and there is so much to do in your first week (or first week back). Be sure to check out the calendar of events and the Week of Welcome webpage for the full list of events.

Monday Aug. 22

Ink, Icons, Identity: Exploring U2’s Brand Through Fan Tattoos

12:00 PM – 7:00 PM

Founders Hall, Building 2, Room 1001

• Thursday, August 25, 6–8 p.m: Lecture by Beth Nabi, co-creator of the Tattoo Project; assistant professor, Graphic Design + Digital Media, UNF
  • Friday, August 26, 6–8 p.m: Closing Reception; FANtasy Islands: Participatory Audiences and the Contested Market of Ideas; Lecture by Dr. Linda Howell, Director, UNF Writing Program and Center

When they’re not automatically downloading mediocre albums on your iPhone, U2 cultivated some pretty passionate fans in their twenty-odd years. Like passionate enough to get tattoos. UNF professor Beth Nabi collected photos from U2 fans across the globe. We’ve written about this exhibition before, and it’s really worth checking out. The gallery starts with or without you.

RecFest  

When: 7 p.m- 9 p.m

Where: UNF Fieldhouse

Here’s where you can learn everything about campus recreation. From Ogier Gardens to Eco Adventure to Club Sports, there’s so much to do.

#SWOOP2TARGET Shopping Event for UNF Students

When: 11:00pm- 1:30am

Where: Target at the St. Johns Town Center

Fill the void in your life by buying things. Target and UNF team up to give students some last-minute shopping. Shuttles will start taking students to Target at 11 p.m. from the Osprey Crossings, Osprey Fountains and Osprey Clubhouse every 10 minutes. I’d recommend The New York Times’ piece on the ethics of this.

Tuesday Aug. 23

Breakfast at Tommy G’s

When: 9am-11am

Where: Library

FREE FOOD ALERT

Week of Welcome: How to Avoid the Freshman 15

When/Where:

Tuesday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on The Green

Wednesday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Market Day

The Freshman 15 is probably a myth but it’s well-worth being healthy anyways, right? Healthy Osprey will set up booths two times this week dropping knowledge on students.

Nest Quest

When: 2:00p.m- 4:00p.m.

Where: SU West Ballrooms

Think The Amazing Race: Osprey edition. It’ll be like that orientation scavenger hunt you did but with waaaaay better prizes.

Wednesday Aug. 24

Jaguars Ticket Sales  

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m

Where: SU

This is the last day of SG’s heavily discounted season tickets. Season tickets on the 400 level are $294 (regular price is $378) and individual tickets are $35. They’ll go pretty quick.

Student Union Market Day/Aim for your major

When: 10 a.m-2 p.m.

Where: Osprey Plaza at the Student Union

Support local businesses and plan your college career at the same time.

OP Movie Night featuring Captain America Civil War   

When: 7 p.m and 9:45 p.m

Where: Student Union Auditorium

You ought to show up early, these things fill up fast.

Thursday Aug. 25

LifeSouth Blood Drive

When:11 p.m – 4 p.m

Where:Osprey Plaza

You give so much to the university already, why not pay them in blood? No really, they need it. Learn if you fit the eligibility requirements here.

Chocolate Games  

When: 6:30 p.m- 8:30 p.m

Where: Game Room

The only thing we know about this is it will involve “chocolate trivia, and of course chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!” Fun.

Friday Aug. 26

Osprey Productions Pool Party  

When: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.

Where: Clubhouse pool

It’s the end of the first week, why not celebrate it?

Men’s Soccer vs. Winthrop

When: 7 p.m

Where: Hodges stadium

The defending A-Sun champions UNF Men’s Soccer team had their first taste of the NCAA tournament last season. How will they fare this year? The first 100 students get a scarf, you know, for the weather.

Saturday Aug. 27

Welcome to the Nest: Rodney Atkins featuring Sam Herb

When: concert starts at 8, doors open at 5

Where: Coxwell Amphitheater

Students kick off their semester with a concert from country star Rodney Atkins, presented by Osprey Productions. Known for no.1 country hits like “Take a Backroad,” “These Are My People,” and “Watchin’ You,” Atkins’ show should be fun. UNF student and aspiring country musician Sam Herb opens the show.

Sunday Aug. 28

Men’s Soccer vs. UNC Greensboro

When: 7 p.m

Where: Hodges Stadium