Two campus centers combine into Department of Diversity Initiatives

As of July 1, the Women’s Center and the Intercultural Center for PEACE have merged, creating the Department of Diversity Initiatives.   

The reason for the merger was not financially motivated. The departments wanted  to provide a place for students to celebrate diversity, while embracing a more inclusive campus for all students.

The Director of the Department of Diversity Initiatives, Sheila Spivey, said that the department wants to “provide students with a greater opportunity to explore diversity [and] expand programs and services on campus.”   

The department is still in its beginning stages, but they have many things that students can take advantage of. They have two locations: in Bldg. 2 Suite 2100, and in the Student Union East on the first floor. No programs, services, or jobs were lost due to the merger — however, many services and events have been added.

For mothers that are breastfeeding they have a room called the “Nest,” where they can pump and feed. They also have free condoms, feminine hygiene products and a student lounge in Building 2.  In the Student Union they have study and hangout areas for students.

Since merging they held Let’s Talk About It, an event where they invited students to discuss topics like the recent police involved shootings and ways of coping with them.

The department will also premiere a student-made film titled “What Would You Do?” It looks at the role of bystanders in different situations, and has three alternative endings. It can be viewed on Sept. 12, 5 p.m. in the Student Union Auditorium.  

Some students who hold positions in the African American Student Union, the Latin American Student Organization and the Asian Student Alliance now have offices and office hours on the first floor of the Student Union East.    

Their open house and official opening will be held on Sept. 29 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.