Sip on this: The best local coffee shops in Jax

Find your new study spot with a caffeine fix at one of these local coffee shops.

Near Campus:

The Coffee Grinder

The Coffee Grinder’s local artists and DJ’s surround guests and give them a more cultured atmosphere. Photo courtesy of The Coffee Grinder.

Swing by The Coffee Grinder on Old Baymeadows Road to sip on freshly brewed coffee while contemplating the meaning of the local artwork on the walls. Electronic music from local DJs and a beer and wine selection transform the coffee bar into a great hangout at night.

Sippers

Sippers Coffeehouse on Gate Parkway has an assortment of tables and cubbies perfect for group studying or reading silently.Photo courtesy of Sippers Coffeehouse.
Sippers Coffeehouse on Gate Parkway has an assortment of tables and cubbies perfect for group studying or reading silently. Photo courtesy of Sippers Coffeehouse.

Mismatched furniture paired with a quiet atmosphere make this local coffee shop a favorite study spot for Jacksonville’s college students. Sippers also has a classic punch card program to help customers save up for a free coffee; one purchase equals one punch.

The Beaches:

Bold Bean Coffee Roasters

Bold Bean is known for embracing its industrial elements. Photo courtesy of Bold Bean Coffee Roasters

Bold Bean is the definition of hipster with brick walls, concrete flooring and a chalkboard menu. Don’t expect coffee to taste like whip cream or ice-cream — if you want to study like a cool kid you have to drink coffee like your gramps. Bold Bean Coffee Roasters currently has two locations: one on Stockton Street in Riverside and another on 3rd Street at the Beaches.

Pura Bean Coffee Company

Pura Bean sells its coffee beans to other local coffee shops, and finally found a home by Hobby Lobby. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow.

Ospreys can taste Pura Bean’s coffee at a number of cafes around Jacksonville, but they’ll need to drive to the plaza Hobby Lobby is in on Beach Boulevard to find the cafe’s true spirit. When Pura Bean isn’t focusing on roasting coffee beans, the staff is creating new flavors for macarons — they introduced earl grey and chai tea macarons over the summer.

Southern Grounds

Southern Grounds at Neptune Beach encompasses the same vibe it’s previous tenant did: an easygoing social space with wifi and outlets so locals, students and professors can gather and study for hours. Photo by Courtney Stringfellow.

Southern Grounds sits on on the edge of the First Street Shoppes in Neptune Beach. Inside you’ll see many students, and even some professors, working on their computers while sipping on spiced chai lattes and mango smoothies.

Downtown:

Brew

Brew sits next to Sun Ray Cinema in Jacksonville’s Historic Five Points neighborhood and serves a wide selection of beverages, from Cafe Americano to wine.

Cool Moose Cafe

This Five Points stop is better known for its fit-for-a-picnic food, but we had to include it because everyone loves bottomless coffee. For just a few dollars, you can refill your cup until all of your work is done — just make sure your heart doesn’t explode.

Southern Roots Filling Station

This vegan restaurant doubles as a local coffee shop to keep your mind and body alert and healthy. Located near the intersection of King and Park Street, Southern Roots Filling Station is always serving new vegan-friendly desserts to pair with your coffee.

Urban Grind Coffee Company

Urban Grind Coffee Company has two locations Downtown — one inside the Bank of America building and the other across the street by Regions. The store-front location is great for people watching, with its wall of windows in close proximity to The Landing. The kitchen also makes a new menu every week so your tastebuds will never get bored.

Vagabond Coffee

Vagabond Coffee has a limited menu with all the essential beverages — espresso, spiced chai latte, hot chocolate — and even some childhood sweets, the most important one being homemade poptarts. Ospreys can find Vagabond Coffee Downtown in the form of a camper in Hemming Park and a cafe in Murray Hill. Check the shop’s social media for each location’s hours, as they vary.