Police beats: Stolen stuff, a broken door and harassing phone calls

Graphic by Jay Srivastava
    Graphic by Jay Srivastava

Stolen Bike  

A man locked up his bike and returned to find only his front tire.

The police report states an officer met with the victim around 11 a.m. Sept. 3, who said his bike had been stolen from Lot 18.

The victim said he locked his bike through the front tire on the night of Aug. 31, and returned on Sept. 3 to find his bike frame and back tire stolen.  

No usable video footage was obtained and the victim said he had no paperwork or serial number for the bike. The case hasn’t been cleared but patrol efforts have been suspended.

Another Stolen Bike  

Another student found only their bike stolen on Sept 6.

The report states that a UNF student locked her bike near Building 45 on Aug. 31 and returned to find only the front tire locked to the rack. The report states the officer is searching among the racks in the “core” of campus for the bike.

No surveillance footage was captured, the area was not processed for fingerprints and patrol efforts have been suspended.

Stolen Keys

Keys were stolen from inside a locked office in Building 42.

According to the police report, an employee locked her office door Sept 1. and returned the next day to find the door still locked, but her keys missings. The victim reportedly checked her purse, residence, office area and the lost and found offices but was unable to locate the keys.  

There was no signs of forced entry into the office and no other items in the office were tampered with. The area was not processed for prints and the incident was not captured on surveillance.  

A key audit is being conducted and patrol efforts continue.

Broken Door

UNFPD investigated a broken door in Hodges Stadium Sept. 5  

According to the report, an officer was patrolling Hodges Stadium when they noticed a hydraulic door closer was damaged. Further investigation revealed that a complainant hadn’t noticed damage on Sept. 4 and believes the damage was done overnight.

There are no suspects, witnesses or video evidence available. The case has not been cleared but patrol efforts have been suspended.

Harassing Calls

UNFPD arrived at Building 1 Sept. 1 in response to harassing voicemails from a caller who said he was hearing voices.

The report states that an employee in Building 1 arrived for work Sept. 1 to find seven messages left from an unknown male caller. The victim stated the calls were out of context and hard to understand, but mentioned the term “wannabees,” the name “Debbie” and a reference to someone “blowing their head off.”  

The responding officer followed up with UNF’s IT Department who advised that there was no way for them to trace the call. The message were forwarded to UNFPD for further analysis. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Stolen Wallet

A wallet was stolen out of a student’s backpack during a party on Aug. 26 at the Osprey Clubhouse.

According to the police report, the victim had his wallet, cell phone and water bottle in his backpack and left it on the pool deck before swimming. When he returned for his backpack, his wallet was missing.  

The report states UNFPD will attempt to obtain security video of the theft. Patrol efforts are continuing.

Frat Letter Stolen

A display letter belonging to the Theta Chi fraternity was stolen from the Green.

The police report states that members of Theta Chi noticed their “X” letter was missing from their sidewalk display along the Green on Aug. 31. A UNFPD officer met with the complainant who stated that club members had searched the area but found nothing.

No witnesses or surveillance footage was found.

__