Trump in town again: Talks about Obama, Clinton and plans as president

Thousands attended a Trump rally on Nov. 3. Photo by Will Weber

Donald Trump’s Nov. 3 rally brought more than 4,000 people to the Jacksonville Equestrian Arena. Attendees started to line up at 6 a.m. to see the GOP presidential candidate during the last week of the election year.

Trump came in 20 minutes late, but that didn’t deter attendees. Several people spoke to the crowd an hour before Trump was scheduled to speak, and encouraged attendees to vote.

When Trump did come out, he recognized Jacksonville’s influence in the election and praised the large military community in Jacksonville.

Trump focused most of the rally on Hillary Clinton — mainly the email scandals. He berated Clinton about having debate questions beforehand through CNN.

“Will justice be done, or not?” he asked the crowd. “Will justice be done, yes or no?”

Trump also directed his speech toward President Barack Obama, who was on UNF’s campus later that day.

“Why isn’t he (Obama) back in the White House and helping out veterans? Creating jobs? He’s campaigning everyday,” Trump said.

Trump then touched on healthcare and how in Florida, premiums are going up. If elected president, Trump promised that he would abolish Obamacare and replace it with a better and cheaper system.

When addressing what he would do about refugees, Trump said “to be a rich nation, we need to be a safe nation.” Trump said he would not accept any refugees from Syria and he would protect our borders.

UNF students were among those crowd at the Nov. 3 rally. Photo by Hannah Lee

“The Trump administration will secure the borders of the United States. And yes, we will build a Great Wall,” he said.

Trump left attendees with the idea that he is fighting for Americans who believe in truth and justice, not money and power.

Several UNF students were at the rally to hear Trump’s speech.

Skyler Iffland, communication senior, attended the rally with Alumni Rebekah Smid.

“It was super energetic and it was a lot of fun,” Iffland said.  

Connor Klein, a political science and criminal justice senior, was undecided at the beginning of the election, but then decided to vote for Trump.

“For me, it’s not a matter of, I’ve never been a huge fan of Trump,” said Klein. “But leading up to the election, I just didn’t feel comfortable voting for a candidate who was being investigated for crimes.”

According to CNN, Clinton is currently ahead of Trump in Florida by 2 percent.