Police Beat: tough security, missing phones and toilet drama

Graphic by Jay Srivastava
Graphic by Jay Srivastava

A Push to Graduate

A UNF student told UNFPD that she was pushed in the chest by a Contemporary Services Corporation (CSC) security officer at the UNF Arena during a graduation ceremony on Dec. 9.

The report states that while attending the ceremony, the victim and her family were heading down stairs to an area roped off by security. The victim spoke to a student employee in the arena described as a six foot white male, with no facial hair, highlights and a wedding band, who said she could meet with the rest of her family in the area.  

A security officer described as a stocky built black female allegedly stuck her arm out in front of the victim and pushed her away while telling her she couldn’t go that way.  

The victim spoke to a UNFPD lieutenant, an events coordinator and a member of CSC human resources (HR) about the incident. The HR member called the victim on Dec. 16 to issue an apology and say the incident was being taken care of.

The victim did not feel satisfied with how the situation was handled. According to the report, the victim said the security officer was very aggressive and was acting bullish.

The name of the security officer is unknown. The case is not cleared and a patrol follow-up is ongoing.

Privacy Please

A physical Facilities employee found a urinal divider ripped from the wall of a men’s bathroom on Jan. 3.

According to the report, UNFPD responded to a call concerning criminal mischief in building 15. Upon arrival, an officer met with the Physical Facilities employee who informed the officer of the damage to the men’s second floor bathroom.

The urinal divider has been taken off the wall and placed inside the handicap stall. The incident occurred sometime between Dec. 23 and Jan. 3. The cost to fix the divider is estimated to be $400.

An investigation revealed no usable evidence or video surveillance footage. The case and patrol efforts have been suspended.

Returned Call

A student’s phone once thought to be stolen was returned by Arena custodial staff on Dec. 31.

The police report states that an officer investigated the theft of a cell phone on Dec. 30. The following day, a custodial staff member returned the phone to UNFPD.

The custodial worker said he found the phone while cleaning up the Arena after a basketball game, but was unable to locate anyone to turn it over to so he took it home. While at home, the worker contacted the victim and said he would bring the phone to the police station on Dec. 31.

The officer made contact with the victim and released the phone to her. The status of the case is unfounded.