New exhibit at Lufrano Gallery: Testimony

Photo by Lili Weinstein
Photo by Lili Weinstein

With a new semester comes a new exhibit at the Lufrano Intercultural Gallery. Until March 17, students can view 13 pieces of art from Testimony, an exhibit created by the award winning UNF art professor Louise Freshman Brown.

The exhibition first opened in the Jacksonville Museum of Contemporary Art 19 years ago. It was met with widespread acclaim and broke the museum’s opening records. In 2002, the pieces moved to the DeLand Museum of Art.  

Artists Louise Freshman Brown. Photo by Lili Weinstein

Freshman Brown began work on Testimony in 1994, completing them in 1997. The specific pieces  featured at UNF were made from 1996-1997. To the artist, Testimony is a study of power: “personal power, the power we give others over us and the power we hold over others.”

She sought to reflect the dark times in both her life and the world with her work. The pieces combine painting, drawing, printmaking, collage and photography.
The gallery opening at the Lufrano is dedicated to Diana Ong, a collector of her work and an admired artist who passed away in 2016.

__