UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Marielisa Martinez

Photo by Marielisa Martinez

Photo by Marielisa Martinez

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center said UNF Sex Week 2017 will still be happening from March 6 to 10, despite recent changes to the schedule.

The LGBT Resource Center released an official statement today stating that the UNF Sex Week will still happen as planned, despite the previous cancellation attempts made by university officials.

Before publishing the center’s statement, there wasn’t any information available regarding 2017 Sex Week program and sessions, as the page that originally detailed Sex Week was taken down. Now, the page is back up.

The LGBT Resource Center informed the community that it will host panels and workshops on the spectrums of sexual communication, LGBT 101, campus safety, sexual harassment, violence, assault and other forms of oppression, as well as consensual sex.

In order to retain the events that were previously cancelled, the student organization, Pride Club, will host the panels regarding polyamory, sex toys, kinky-ness and BDSM culture. Pride Club will produce and present the events, “Coming out Kinky” and “Polyamory vs. Cheating,” originally proposed by the Relationship Equality Foundation Organization..

“We encourage our students to openly express and share their ideas with respect and civility,” stated Sex Week organizers in the statement, inviting students to openly talk about their sexuality questions and issues.

The LGBT Resource Center will release the official events program over the course of the week.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “UNF’s Sex Week is back on track”

1. ad2017 on February 13th, 2017 3:11 pm

UNF officials cancel sex education classes for ‘Sex Week’
    ***dated Feb 9th 2017
    University of North Florida officials decided to repeal two sex “education” classes during UNF Sex Week.

According to Action News Jax: Relationship Equality Foundation, the organization that created the courses (www.relationshipequalityfoundation.org) said that canceling the classes denies students “equal access” to all sex education.

The first two classes that were canceled were titled “Coming out Kinky” and “Cheating Vs. Polyamory”.

An article by Campus Reform published a series of articles telling just what was being included. UNF had consequently removed the Sex Week website that detailed much of what was being planned.

The Washington Times also ran a story.

According to UNF VP and Chief of Staff Tom Serwatka, the decision to cancel the classes stem from pressures from THE SUPPORTERS and LOBBYIST in favor of the HRO in Jacksonville FL who don’t want anything controversial to affect passage of a local Human Rights Ordinance (HRO) for supposed LGBT “protections.”

The Jacksonville City Council will vote on the ordinance on Feb 14th.

Most noteworthy is that the LGBT Resource Center RUNS the Sex Week program according to Billy Holder of Relationship Equality Foundation.

So why hide it until after the vote?…Is this the real reason for the so called protection? It seems to be very important for them to hide this.

[Reply]

2. Chris Barker on February 14th, 2017 11:20 am

This is absolutely disgusting. I would rather see the KKK or Nazis on campus than this $hit!!!

[Reply]

3. ad2017 on February 14th, 2017 11:59 am
  4. ad2017 on February 15th, 2017 2:50 pm

According to UNF VP and Chief of Staff Tom Serwatka, the decision to cancel the UNF classes stem from pressures from THE SUPPORTERS and LOBBYIST in favor of the HRO in Jacksonville FL who don’t want anything controversial to affect passage of a local Human Rights Ordinance (HRO) for supposed LGBT “protections.”
    ****************************************************************************

Two of these classes were being offered by Relationship Equality Foundation and one by the UNF Pride Club.
    *****The students are being told that they can put back up advertisements for the event on Wednesday, February 15.***(AFTER THE HRO MEETING ON FEB 14TH***)
    *********************************************************************************
    Moments after the vote was announced, supporters celebrated in front of City Hall.
    Tom Serwatka joined the celebration – it was he and his husband’s anniversary.
    “We have been working for this over the last five years and this is amazing,” he said.

wow…how fooled an alumni is….

UNF diploma…now worth-less…

[Reply]

5. ad2017 on February 20th, 2017 9:32 am

UNF…haven’t you had enough violence!

WOMEN’S RALLY
    Urging Mayor Lenny Curry to Veto the JAX HRO
    “No Men in Women’s Bathrooms!”

DATE: Wednesday, February 22, 2017
    TIME: 12:00noon – 1:00pm
    PLACE: Jacksonville City Hall & Hemming Plaza

Common sense women are coming together from across Jacksonville to stand publicly against the gross invasion of our privacy, dignity, and safety found in the Jacksonville Human Right Ordinance (HRO) passed by the City Council. The HRO is outrageous and gives biological men a new “right” to shower with women, change clothes in women’s locker rooms, and use our bathrooms.

Despite what you may have heard in the local media, the city code is clear that Jacksonville’s Mayor Lenny Curry has until the date of the next City Council meeting on February 28, 2017, to veto the HRO which is the most anti-liberty, anti-privacy and anti-woman law any legislative body could ever pass. Get your daughters, sisters, and friends and make plans to join us.

List of 21 Bathroom Abuse Incidents From Across the Country as a Result of these Policies

http://downloads.frc.org/EF/EF16F27.pdf

And they all said they “researched” this…not by a longshot.

Jacksonville…haven’t you had enough violence!

[Reply]

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Former student pleads not guilty to soliciting sex from minor

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

A look into the early days of President Mims

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

UNF confirms $110,000 for search firm to seek new president

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Counseling center and athletics to potentially receive budget increase at the expense of health promotions

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Duval County under tornado watch; Severe T-Storms expected

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

UNF alumna included in ESPN layoff

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

FSCJ faces major budget cuts

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Parking to be affected by high school graduations next week

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

Summer A: On campus happy hour deals

• UNF’s Sex Week is back on track

UNF prepared to spend $100,000 on a search firm to elect new president

UNF’s Sex Week is back on track