Team effort sends North Florida to ASUN Championship

North Florida is headed to the ASUN Championship after they downed Lipscomb in a team effort, 91-85. Five Ospreys scored in double-digits during the win.

Hot shooting gave the Ospreys a huge advantage. The Birds of Trey reminded us why they earned that name in the first place. UNF shot a hot 67 percent from three and 57 percent from the field.

At halftime, Garrett Sams had 13 points and teammate Aaron Bodager added 12. The Ospreys went into the break with a 45-32 advantage. Sams ended the game with 13 points and Bodager had 15 points on the game.

The Bison were able to hold Dallas Moore to only eight points during the first period.

Out of the break, UNF went on a 7-0 run, as they continued to extend their lead. But with a spot in the ASUN Championship on the line both teams battled hard. Lipscomb went on a 6-0 run of their own trying to make the last slot theirs.

Moore added on a team-high 18 points and a game-high seven assist.

Wajid Aminu and Aaron Horne also had double-digit scoring efforts. Aminu added 12 points and five rebounds. Teammate Horne was an unexpected but welcomed boost off the bench.He had 11 points and snatched three rebounds.

Lipscomb, not wanting to end their conference play to end, went on an 11-0 run late in the second half, but the deficit was too much for the Bison to overcome.

UNF won the game 91-85, earning the last spot in the ASUN Championship, and ending the Lipscomb’s season. The Ospreys handed the Bisons their fourth ASUN loss, with three of of the four coming at the hands of North Florida.

North Florida will play at number one FGCU on March 5 at 3 p.m. FGCU is the only team to beat UNF at home and away this season.