United Airlines CEO a member of UNF Board of Trustees

Oscar Muñoz. Photo courtesy United Airlines

Chief Executive Officer of United Airlines Oscar Muñoz, who is at the center of a global PR crisis after a passenger was physically dragged from an overbooked flight, serves on UNF’s Board of Trustees.

In a statement posted to the airline’s Twitter account, Muñoz called the incident a “truly horrific event on this flight [that] has elicited many responses from all of us: outrage, anger, disappointment” as a video went viral this weekend showing a passenger being dragged off of a United Airlines flight.

“We take full responsibility and we will work to make it right. It’s never too late to do the right thing… I promise you we will do better,” Muñoz stated.

Muñoz was appointed by the Florida Board of Governors in 2010. During his time as a trustee at the university, Muñoz has donated around $100,00 to the university for an undergraduate scholarship program, and programs emphasizing graduate education. His term on the UNF BOT is set to end in January 2020.

Spinnaker reached out to Vice President of Public Relations Sharon Ashton, who said UNF had no comment. Spinnaker has also contacted Florida Board of Governors Communication Director Brittany Davis, who refused to comment on the incident as well.

Police officers forcibly removed an unidentified man from his plane seat after he refused to give up his seat due to an overbooking issue. The passengers were shocked and upset as they saw how officials handled the situation. Some sat in their seats with their mouths open while others took out their phones to record videos that have now gone viral.

The video showed how officers wrestled the screaming man out of his seat and dragged him down the corridor. His glasses were knocked off, his shirt was raised and the man was also bleeding from his lip.

After being forcibly removed from the plane, another video showed the man running back to his seat saying “I have to go home.”

According to the New York Times, the man was politely asked to leave by a United employee, who tried to explain that they needed the seats for United crew members. The man refused and told the employee that he was a doctor and had patients in the morning. He also accused the employee of choosing him due to him being Chinese.

The day after the incident Muñoz stated: “I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers…We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation.”

United is currently reviewing its policies, and will announce the results of that review by April 30.

Spinnaker will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

__