Delaney on witness list for former Congresswoman accused of fraud

UNF President John Delaney is on the witness list for Corrine Brown, a former Jacksonville Congresswoman facing 22 counts of corruption, tax evasion and fraud.

Jury selection for Brown’s trial in federal court began April 24. She served 12 terms from 1993 to 2017 as Jacksonville’s representative in the 3rd and later the 5th district, before losing in the most recent election amid the controversy of the impending trial.

Brown and her staff are accused of funneling $800,000 through a fake charity called One Door for Education for personal use. Several staff members related to the situation have plead guilty to similar charges, including the One Door president and Brown’s former chief of staff.

Through it all, Brown has steadfastly claimed she is not guilty.

Brown served Florida’s third and fifth district for 24 years. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Spinnaker reached out to Delaney for comment, and he said he did not know being named to Brown’s witness list until he received a call from a Florida Times-Union reporter.

“Last week, her attorney contacted me to explain he would be calling me as a witness to give my opinion as to the Congresswoman’s truth,” Delaney said.

Delaney told the Times-Union he has a “wonderful relationship” with Brown. Delaney expects to be called to the trial later in the week of May 1.