UNF Teaching program receives $1.4 million grant towards teaching in urban schools

Graduate students at UNF who are looking to get their master’s degree in teaching math and science can now apply to a new fellowship program following a large grant received from the National Science Foundation’s Robert Noyce Fellowship.

Accepted grad students train under a mentor to specifically teach math and science to the economically-challenged students in Duval County Public Schools. The fellowship starts this summer and lasts a year.

During that year, the students earn a $20,000 living stipend and when they graduate and are hired into a teaching position at one of the Duval County Public Schools. They receive an additional $10,000 salary supplement a year for their first four years of teaching.

“As a program that prepares math and science teachers for high needs urban schools, we understand that [the grad student’s] support cannot end when they graduate from the program,” said Wanda Lastrapes, UNF program director for the Jacksonville Teacher Residency. “To be a successful teacher in a context that is ever changing, very high stakes, high accountability teaching areas where students come to a classroom with so many needs and challenges beyond academics, the teachers need support their first five years.”

The qualifying graduate students will attend selection day on May 4th, where the residents are chosen.

__