Softball receives ASUN postseason honors

Joslyn Simmons

From Left to Right: Morgan Blourne, Kayla McGory, Navia Penrod, and Dominica Cocuzza. Photo courtesy UNF Athletics

North Florida softball had four players receive postseason honors for their performances on and off the field.

Freshman shortstop Kayla McGory claimed the ASUN Defensive Player of the Year along with a first team pick for the All-Conference Team. McGory made 14 double plays this season to break the previous single-season record. The shortstop lead ASUN freshman with a .363 batting average and 47 RBI’s. McGory had the team-best of 12 multi-RBI games for the season.

Sophomore Navia Penrod was selected for the first team ASUN All-Conference Team. This season, her 81 hits tied her for second-most in the country. She also had 12 doubles and 25 RBI. She leads the conference with a .413 average and 49 runs. Penrod, a special education major, was also selected for the All-Academic Team.

Dominica Cocuzza, a sophomore outfielder, had 45 RBI’s, 60 hits and slammed 5 home runs this season. The first-teamer has 16 doubles and 19 multiple hit games.

Morgan Blourne could be seen in the Ospreys pitching rotation this season. The freshman had a 10-5 record and 86 strikeouts with a 3.04 ERA. Against Georgia Tech, she had 10 strikeouts for a season-best. Blourne was selected for the All-Freshman team along with McGory.

__