A look back at UNF Golf

Ronnesha Rodgers

The women’s golf team after winning the ASUN Championship. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.

Women’s Golf

As the defending ASUN champion, women’s golf  kicked off the season at the Red Raider Invitational. North Florida finished 10th out of 15 teams with two players finishing in the Top 25. On Feb. 9, UNF went to the Amelia National Golf Club to defend their title at the Amelia Island Collegiate. The year before the Ospreys took that title home, but unfortunately they wouldn’t win again. North Florida tied for 10th, leaving Mercer University as the 2017 Amelia Island Collegiate winners.

The Ospreys pushed through the rest of the regular season and made it to the ASUN conference tournament.

The Ospreys brought in back-to-back ASUN Championship titles, with four players finishing in the top ten, resulting in an automatic bid to the NCAA regionals. This marked the second straight NCAA Regional appearance by the Ospreys. In 2016, they finished 14th in the field in Baton Rouge, La.

Against some of the top programs in the nation, the Ospreys finished 16th at the regionals, concluding their 2016-2017 season. 

The UNF Men’s golf team. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.

Men’s Golf

In the season-opening Georgia Tech series, men’s golf climbed from 14th to 11th place for finish off their play.

One of the biggest matches on the season was played against the JU Dolphins in the Pablo Creek Collegiate Cup at the Pablo Creek Country Club. The match was sent to sudden death when the Ospreys and the Dolphins were tied 6-6. The Dolphins took home the crown with a 1-over total, while the Ospreys had a 2-over total.

North Florida moved on to the ASUN Championship, taking fourth place.

After the regular season came to an end, UNF prepared for NCAA Regional play. This marked the eighth straight NCAA Regional appearance by the Ospreys, who were ranked seventh in regional match.

North Florida finished seventh in the regional competition, just shy of making the NCAA tournament. Travis Trace made history by becoming the first Osprey to qualify for the NCAA Championship Tournament as an individual. Trace tied for 85th at the NCAA Championship Tournament.

“Travis gave it a go at making the cut but came up a little bit short,” said head coach Scott Schroeder. “He learned he belongs with the best, but still has to improve some parts of his game. It should be a great year next season for him.”

As the season went on, three Ospreys were named ASUN Golfer of the Week. These players included: sophomore Andrew Alligood, sophomore Philip Knowles (three-time winner) and junior Dillon Woods.

Sophomore Philip Knowles. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

ASUN Honors

Several golfers were recognized for their play this season.

Knowles earned honors by the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) and was named to the PING All-Region Team. Knowles was among 27 student-athletes named to the Southeast Region, and became the fifth UNF golfer to receive All-Region honors.

“This is a great accomplishment for Philip. We are very proud of the year he had and it is nice to see him gain some recognition for his hard work,” said head coach Schroeder.

Knowles, along with Andrew Alligood, were named to the ASUN First Team. One more Osprey received two ASUN honors. Freshman Michael Mattiace was named Freshman of the Year and All-Freshman Team

“It is always good to have guys recognized for their good play. Philip and Andrew did a great job all year. Michael has done a nice job improving all year, which is the goal of a freshman,” Schroeder said.

Two women’s golfers also earned ASUN honors including senior Megan Wilshire and freshman Teresa Conroy. Wilshire was named to the All-Academic Team and the First Team ASun, while Conroy was named to the All-Freshman Team.

Freshman Teresa Conroy. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.