Ten UNF 2010 Superlatives

1.     Most expensive book for sale at the Bookstore
“The Essentials of Business Law.”  The 1,114 page textbook rings in at a whopping $245.00. Let’s hope that business degree provides a generous income job post-grad to make it all worth while.

2.     Most unique course offered at UNF
“Pirates in Hispanic Literature and Culture.”  It’s already enjoyable to learn about foreign cultures, but who wouldn’t enjoy a class based on real-life pirates and their continual trickery?  The class, taught by Clayton McCarl, is not just some easy elective. It is a 5000-level class that is sure to delve deeper into the Hispanic culture than that of the three pirate-based films we are all-too familiar with.

3.     Most popular game in the Student Union Game Room
The highly coveted recent release, Halo Reach, is the most heavily played video game in the game room this year. There are only two copies available and there is always a line to play. There is no time limit to how long one can play any specific game per day, so some students play from open to close, seven days a week, Sharmy Pompy, who works in the game room, said.

4.     Boathouse beer with the most bang for your buck
“Old Horizontal Barley Wine Ale” is chilling in the Boathouse fridge right now with an 11 percent alcohol content. This bottle-only brew offers the highest alcohol content at the Boathouse, but is purely seasonal, meaning it won’t be available after this semester. So get your buzz on while you can. “Victory Golden Monkey” is the close runner-up at 9.5 percent alcohol content.

5.     Restaurant with the highest revenue
Quiznos takes the award for this category, but these heroes have an advantage over the others — they are open for most amount of hours. Coyote Jacks counts for the lowest amount of cash raked in but is also has the most limited hours of operation.

6.    Biggest club on campus
The National Society of Collegiate Scholars holds the record for biggest club, blowing all competition out of the water with a total of 874 members, beating the second largest club, Sigma Alpha Pi, by over 300 people. The NSCS’s goal is to honor and inspire academic excellence and engage citizenship for a lifetime.

7.    Most popular group fitness class
Zumba, a group fitness class offered twice a week, has gotten more students than ever shaking those extra pounds off. The dance-based work-out taught by Yani De La Moneda had the highest overall attendance this semester, with 68 people. The class consistently tips the scale at around 50-60 people per session.

8.   Campus event with the highest attendance
The free B.o.B concert, which also featured Yelawolf and Playboy Tre, proved to be the main attraction of the year. The concert crammed a crowd of 3,500 into the UNF Arena Aug. 26.

9.   Craziest Police Beat
UPD carried a sleeping girl out of her smoke-filled room in Building Y of the Osprey Landing residence hall March 4. When they returned to the room they found two smoldering pillows. They then took the pillows outside where they burst into flames. When asked what happened, another student told UPD a microwave “blew up.” Both students admitted to having been drinking.

10.   Most requested song at the Student Union food court
Before lunch is over Rihanna’s “Only Girl in the World” may, to your delight or dismay, have played several times. That is because it is the most requested song by UNF students and faculty, who voted by texting a song request from their cell phone or voting at myakoo.com.