‘Cause I’m coming home again

Homecoming Committee with the task of planning basketball-centric days of festivities. Not only is Nest Fest 2011 basketball-centric, it is also Spirit Cup-centric.

The committee has two silver trophies for the first and second place winners of the 2011 Spirit Cup Competition. Plaques will be placed on the trophies upon Homecoming’s end, said Homecoming Director John Chwalisz. And while the committee is looking for a place to put the trophies, silver cups will find their first homes in the Student Government offices, said Homecoming Assistant Director Heather Hartley.

The week promises events that both do and do not count toward Spirit Cup points. The Spinnaker compiled a list of the events – you can earn cash prizes at some of them – and provided more specific information to rev up the dormant Osprey pride that may or may not be inside you.

Thursday, Feb. 10
Spirit banners due by 3 p.m.*
If you’re participating in the banner contest, make sure to have it in on time.

Friday, Feb. 11
Spirit Days Discount Begins
Bookstore
Get 20 percent off all UNF apparel. Take advantage of this by hitting up the Bookstore multiple times per day. Discount ends Feb. 19.

Gabriel Iglesias Comedy Show
UNF Arena
Doors open @ 7 p.m.
Show starts at @ 8 p.m.
Comedian Gabriel Iglesias, you probably know him as “Fluffy,” will serve as Nest Fest’s launch pad. UNF students get in free with their Osprey1 Card. Wanna bring your non-UNF student friend? That’ll be $10.

Monday, Feb. 14
The Hanging of the Banners*
The banners you turned in Thursday will hang in the Osprey Plaza until Feb. 18, when you’ll find them inside the UNF Arena. Athletes will judge them based on characteristics such as creativity and originality. First place gets $500.

Tuesday, Feb. 15
Blood Mobile
Osprey Plaza
Donate some of that blue-and-grey blood anytime until Feb. 17.

Movie Night
Action begins @ 8 p.m.
The Alumni Association and Osprey Productions will be showing “Iron Man 2” for your eyes. What about your belly? There will be free food there, too.

Wednesday, Feb. 16
Nest Fest Gear Pick-up
Osprey Plaza
Grab some free Nest Fest gear while perusing through Market Days. You don’t want to miss your talon-glove — it will be perfect for Friday’s games.

Lip Sync Contest*
Lazzara Performance Hall in the Fine Arts Center
Doors open @ 7:30 p.m.
Show starts @ 8 p.m.
Get ready to watch the different groups lip sync to your favorite ‘80s and ‘90s pop tunes. What’s not to like?

Late Night Breakfast
The Green
Noming starts @ 10:15 p.m.
If all of that dancing and lip syncing tires you out, refuel with some breakfast food.

Thursday, Feb. 17
Spirit Day

Day of Fun
Coxwell Amphitheater
Fun begins @ 11 a.m.
While last year’s Ferris wheel will be absent, the slide will make a reappearance. You’ll be able to make a stuffed animal and have a customized street sign made. Spirit Road, anyone?

Pep Rally
Coxwell Amphitheater
Rallying begins @ 2:30 p.m.
Don’t leave the Amphitheater just yet, unless class interferes. Hang out with the men’s and women’s basketball teams. While the committee is still figuring out exactly who will be in attendance, it confirmed Ozzie the Osprey will be swooping in some spirit.

Friday, Feb. 18
Tailgating*
Coxwell Amphitheater
Imbibing starts @ 3 p.m.
If you were present during the Day of Fun, you’ll have no trouble finding the tailgating event. But you may have trouble finding the UNF Arena before the basketball games start – that is, if you’re over 21. Listen to Saltwater Grass perform its funky beats, and be sure to keep Jack and Jim at home. This is a beer-and-wine-only event. Of course, nonalcoholic drinks are welcome.

Women’s Basketball Game*
UNF Arena
Tip-off @ 4:30 p.m.
Make your way from the Amphitheater to the Arena, and watch the women’s team play against the Mercer Bears. Don’t fret, Saltwater Grass is from Jacksonville. You can always hear them.

Men’s Basketball Game*
UNF Arena
Tip-off @ 7 p.m.
It’ll be dark, but you should be able to guide yourself to the Arena to see the men’s basketball team battle the Bears.

Saturday, Feb. 19
Co-Ed Flag Football*
Intramural Fields Adjacent to Lot 18
Game begins @ 6 p.m.
Note the time.

Sunday, Feb. 20
SWOOP the LOOP*
UNF Drive
Race starts @ 9 a.m.
The 5k race marks the ending of Nest Fest 2011.

Spirit Cup Awards
Osprey Plaza
Ceremony begins @ 11 a.m.
Which group received the most Spirit Cup points? You’ll find out here.

Make sure to check out UNF Nest Fest 2011 on Facebook to stay updated.

The Alumni Association is hosting a T-shirt exchange during the Feb. 18 Tailgating event. Bring in an old FSU, UF, UCF or non-UNF college T-shirt, and the association will give you a free UNF one.

Do you have the best swoop at UNF? Do you want/need $300? Check out University of North Florida Alumni on Facebook to enter a video of your best swooping skills. Second place receives $200, and third place earns $100.

*event counts for Spirit Cup points

Sources: Homecoming Director John Chwalisz, Homecoming Assistant Director Heather Hartley, Nest Fest 2011 Information Packet