Best of Spring 2011

Four months can go by quickly in the midst of studying, hanging out and Spring Break-ing. Time flies by with the prominent events in your life – that next test, that next date, that next party on Saturday. In case it’s been a topsy-turvy for months – and in between the hustle to reach May, you’ve missed some events that happened around campus – here’s a look at some of the best happenings at UNF this semester.

1 Melissa Leo’s memorable “f-bomb” dropping at the Academy Awards in February could not have been possible if it weren’t for the movie, “The Fighter”; the movie couldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for the men themselves, Micky Ward and Dicky Eklund. The brothers spoke to a lacking-in-attendance audience Jan. 19 as the first part of Osprey Production’s new pop culture series.

2 Even though no one knew about the fighters, a large crowd sat through the Homecoming Comedy Show featuring funnyman Gabriel Iglesias – aka Fluffy – and his fellow hilarious friends Feb. 11. Iglesias presented original material that caused for a camera ban and some old favorites for his long-time following. He kept no stereotype safe from his jokes’ wrath.

3 Although its products are absent from Outtakes’ coolers, Red Bull hosted a King of the Campus skateboarding competition Feb. 12 to bring awareness to the company and to the campus’s best shredders, of course. Brooks Jones, a UNF public relations junior, took the title and two VIP tickets to the Daytona 500 as a reward.

4 The Spinnaker headed to the Jacksonville International Car and Truck Show at the Prime Osborn Convention Center Feb. 18-20. Different mammoth vehicles littered the center, and representatives on site pitched the cars’ specs for passersby.

5 With the noticeable lack of St. Augustine’s Harvest of Hope Fest – the closest Jacksonville has to a large music festival, which hosted Dr. Dog, Broken Social Scene and Kimya Dawson last year – students had to travel a bit further to get their live music fix. The trek to Ultra Music Festival March 25-27 in Miami might not seem ultra glorious, but the three-day dance fest could’ve merited the trip. Read a review of it on the Spinnaker’s website.

6 Without a music festival, it might seem like the 904 has nothing going for it — but for the first time ever, Jacksonville had a fashion week. The festivities took place March 23-26, and the Spinnaker checked out the March 24 event at Casa Marina in Jacksonville Beach. Check out an online photo gallery after learning everything about Ultra.

7 While Osprey Productions has a couple of events after the Spinnaker prints its final issue, it  held a Hoedown Throwdown for the all the country lovers at UNF. Hey, Jacksonville’s in the South, so who can blame it? Rodney Atkins, Phil Vassar and Jessie James crooned to a crowd March 31 at the UNF Arena.