Police Beat: Missing golf cart and cash

Jordan Bebout

A rouge golf cart, a busted-in vending machine and a missing wad of cash — campus crime is heating up for summer.

Keep your cash at home

A student reported $600 stolen from his wallet in a cubby at the Student Wellness Center on May 20.

According to the police report, the student got to the gym around 4:30 p.m. and put his belongings in a cubby on the second floor of the gym.

The student returned to the cubby area around 5:30 p.m. and checked his wallet, discovering the money was stolen, according to the report. The report states the student searched the cubby area and asked the gym staff if they had seen anything, with no success.

UNFPD wasn’t able to identify the suspect and the student was advised to contact the police with additional information or concerns.

Grand theft golf cart

UNFPD was called to Building 6 (UNF Annex) on June 3 in reference to the report of a stolen golf cart.

Graphic by Kaitlyn Sinardi

Graphic by Kaitlyn Sinardi

According to the report, the golf cart was parked outside building 58W (Student Union) on May 31 with the key in the ignition while the UNF employee using it was eating at the boathouse. The employee returned around 3 p.m. and discovered the cart was missing.

The report states the employee said he waited several days to report the missing cart because he thought maybe someone accidentally drove off with it and would return it. At the time of the report the golf cart had not been returned.

The officer on the scene searched campus but was unable to find the cart. The case is not cleared, but investigation is suspended.

Vending machine woes

UNFPD found several damaged vending machines in the campus core on May 29 while conducting a security check.

According to the police report, the officer saw a piece of metal pulled away from the Starbucks vending machine. Further investigation revealed that the front part of the machine had been partially pried open, but the unknown suspect(s) did not gain entry into the machine.

An Aquafina vending machine outside of Building 10 and a snack machine outside of Building 4 were both partially pried open, according to the report. Nothing was stolen from either machine.

The report states there were no witnesses to the incident and UNFPD has requested video footage.

At the time of the incident, the campus was closed for Memorial Day weekend. The owners of the vending machines were contacted and there will be patrol follow-up.