Irma expected to strengthen before making landfall in the Keys; UNF’s preparing for the storm

Jordan Bebout

Probable path of Hurricane Irma as of Sept. 9 at 8pm (NHC)

Irma is expected to produce very heavy rain and inland flooding, according to the National Hurricane Center(NHC). “Irma will bring life-threatening wind impacts to much of Florida regardless of the exact track of the center,” states the NHS.

Residents throughout the southeastern United States should remain aware of the flood threat and stay tuned to forecasts and warnings. Experts are concerned about strong storm surge in coastal cities. Storm surge in Jacksonville beach is predicted to be over 2-4 feet.RLR

The 8 p.m. update shows wind speeds went down slightly from 125 to 120, but the storm is expected to strengthen. As of 8 p.m., there are over 18 million people are under hurricane warning. A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area.

There is a 10 p.m.- 6 a.m. curfew for Jacksonville Beach. The next NHC update is at 11p.m.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact editor@unfspinnaker.com.