Police Beat: “we’re here” and plenty paraphernalia

Alexandra Torres-Perez

“We’er Here”

A swastika drawn in black permanent marker was found by a UNF student in the men’s bathroom of the Fountains on Nov. 21. This was discovered a day after the white supremacist and No Nazis at UNF rally occurred on campus. Under the swastika it reads “we’er here” and “anti-antifa” in all caps.

Photo by Leonardo Paley.

The student told officials he did not know who made the graffiti or how long it was on the stall. Patrol efforts were suspended due to lack of information and suspects.  

Winter Break Homework

UNFPD arrested Jeremy Evan Bertisch for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Nov. 27.

The officer first arrived at Osprey Landing after being notified of a strong smell of weed coming from a dorm. Bertisch gave the police officer permission to enter the room, and admitted he did have weed, according to the police report.

The report states Bertisch gave UNFPD a glass jar with more than 20 grams of marijuana, a glass bong, three metal grinders, a pipe, rolling papers, smoke diffuser and another glass jar with weed residue on it.

Bertisch is scheduled to go to court on Dec. 19, but pleaded not guilty on Nov. 29 according to the Duval County Clerk of Courts. He did receive a non-monetary supervised released, and will be allowed to go home during the holidays as long as takes a drug test and writes an essay on how marijuana affects the body.

__

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Police Beat: “we’re here” and plenty paraphernalia”

1. Brianna Moss on December 5th, 2017 10:43 am

It was not your place to publish this article without Jeremy
    s permission. Technically this is a libel issue and he could take you to court for using his information on the internet and exposing him in a negative light like this. As a past journalist, this is very unethical and if you don’t take down the article I will be speaking with your adviser.
    PS he is a great guy and if you saw past this systematic bullshit of marijuana being a negative thing than that would be great.

2. James Dean on December 5th, 2017 11:17 am

This isn’t news.

3. Anna Beckwith on December 5th, 2017 11:55 am

This is Jeremy’s personal information and it’s now forever on the internet. You had no right and no reason to drag him into this random article about the swastika in Fountains. He’s an awesome guy and you had absolutely zero reason to do this.

4. Jeremy Bertisch on December 5th, 2017 12:00 pm

You do not have the full story and some of your information is incorrect. I’m requesting that you take down this article on the grounds of libel issue.

5. Hollie Harrell on December 5th, 2017 12:03 pm

There was no reason to drag Jeremy in this, or mention it, and the facts presented (specifically the dates) are incorrect. So, if you’re gonna be a “journalist” at least make sure your information is right.

6. Caleb on December 5th, 2017 1:01 pm

I don’t see how this is worthy of an article, this is an 18 year old kid. Everyone makes mistakes. If you truly believe marijuana possession is on the same level as a fascist threat, then you could’ve written the article without including that poor boy’s FULL NAME. Alexandra, what you did was wrong. Shame on you and your organization.

7. Hope Fly on December 5th, 2017 1:52 pm

I think it is absolutely uncalled for to release a name without the person’s permission. I also think it is uncalled for to write an article on a student getting arrested for pot. There are a large amount of students that get arrested for marijuana, and I think this article is irrelevant. You might as well report on every student that gets arrested. I am very displeased with how this situation is being handled. I do not think a written article to allow everyone insight on his case should be posted, especially being that he was arrested for marijuana. This also goes back to the state laws about marijuana, I understand, but upon the state of Florida’s action to legalize marijuana this article is sending a negative outlook on it. I solely support that this article should be taken down or at least his name be taken out of it.

• Police Beat: “we’re here” and plenty paraphernalia

UNF and JCPenney host Suit-Up event for business attire

UNF student and mother express safety concerns after being allegedly tracked by father

Student Government to hold a Town Hall meeting regarding the new alcohol policies

UNF SDS drops banner recognizing victims of police brutality

Students can now vote on campus; UNF is an early voting site in Duval County

UNF Constitution Week breakdown and overview

Professional U: Preparing UNF students for their future

Police Beat: A variety of stolen items and a marijuana arrest

UNF student refused service after alleged assault

Suspicious activity around vehicles in the Osprey Flats