Resigned-dean was reportedly caught in sexual encounter with a man he met on “Adam4Adam”

Sam Chaney, Managing Editor

The former dean of the College of College of Computing, Engineering and Construction was engaged in sexual activity with another man just outside of the stairwell adjacent to the press box entrance of the Stadium, according to UNFPD.

A UNFPD officer was dispatched to Hodges Stadium on Tuesday, Oct. 2 in response to a report of suspicious activity, the report states.

According to the police report, Mark Tumeo and the other man admitted to engaging in oral sex and told the officer that they had met on “Adam4Adam,” an online dating website for men. The meeting between the two was reportedly planned mutually via text.

When detailing their encounter to the officer, the man who met Tumeo had been on his knees as Tumeo himself stood with his back to Rm. 402. The man also told officials he noticed a figure peering into the press box and looking at them, at which point he ended his physical engagement with Tumeo and stood up.

According to the update, Tumeo’s resignation follows what was reported as a “consensual sex act” that took place on campus.

Mark Tumeo. Photo courtesy of UNF.

Tumeo initially told officials he had been there to talk to the other man about his bat business. The report states Tumeo also suggested the other man may have simply been bending down to tie his shoe, thereby putting him in a position that may appear “out of place.” However, after officials told Tumeo the other man had admitted to the sexual encounter, Tumeo also admitted his intent behind the meeting was to engage in oral sex.

According to the official report, the man who met with Tumeo was issued a trespass warning and advised not to return without first notifying UNFPD. The man stated he understood the consequences and would not return, at which point he was escorted off campus without incident.

Following the incident, Tumeo himself contacted Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Pamela Chally on Wednesday, Oct. 3 to notify her of his official resignation. Within minutes, his resignation was accepted.

Tumeo’s resignation is effective immediately according to the Osprey Update, and Associate Dean William “Chip” Klostermeyer is to resume Tumeo’s responsibilities until the University has completed a search for a new dean.

The University also affirmed that “[the act] was unbecoming of a University official and doesn’t comply with the standards expected of members of our University community.”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Resigned-dean was reportedly caught in sexual encounter with a man he met on “Adam4Adam””

1. Maria on October 5th, 2018 9:27 am

It is so sad and disappointing that the news feels the need to go into so much of a detail unnecessarily. It was an inappropriate behavior but that doesn’t give the writers the right to make it more humiliating for the people involved. It just makes the unf Spinnaker look so mediocre and low class.

2. eric boudreau on October 8th, 2018 11:32 pm

I agree with Maria, you don’t need to go into details…but since you did, give the guy a break, it’s not like he’s a Priest molesting an alter boy, he’s an adult having sex (admittedly not in the best location) with another adult. And actually I give him props for using an online App for it since he is (was) the Dean of computing!

3. Leeroy Jenkins on October 9th, 2018 10:08 am

It is so sad and disappointing that the news feels the need to say exactly what happened on a public university’s campus. It was an inappropriate behavior but that doesn’t give the writers the right to say exactly what happened with the people in power at the school I pay money to attend. It just makes the unf Spinnaker look honest and high class :/

4. Joanna on October 10th, 2018 11:14 am

I have the upmost respect for Dr. Tumeo and would defend his character and leadership any day. This is certainly not enough to end a man’s career and I hope the community embraces him during this undoubtedly humiliating time.

• Resigned-dean was reportedly caught in sexual encounter with a man he met on “Adam4Adam”

UNF Board of Trustees hears student sentiment on alcohol policy

Police Beats: Pulled over, a swinging gate, and vandalism in the restroom

LGBT Resource Center granted $30,000

Hurricane Michael aftermath may cause record highs in northeast Florida

JU closes due to Hurricane Michael

FSCJ closes campus in response to Hurricane Michael

UNF alumna returning to campus for book signing

“Take Back the Night” postponed due to Hurricane Michael

Tornado watches are expected in Jacksonville today due to Hurricane Michael

Riding apps offering free/discounted rides to polls for Election Day