A guide to studying abroad

Darvin Nelson

If you’re interested in studying in another country, you can do so by taking these necessary steps to study abroad with UNF. Studying abroad allows you to exercise your skills in communications, photography, and many other programs in a whole other continent.

The International Center, located on the second floor of the Student Union, offers weekly information sessions every Tuesday from 3:30p.m. to 4:30p.m. and Friday from 11a.m. to 12p.m. There you can learn about the application process, different options and resources you can use and ask questions.

After attending an information session, you must  make an appointment with your Academic Advisor to evaluate your degree track and choose a course to take abroad, then make an appointment with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss what program you chose and how to apply. Whether it’s foreign exchange, or just taking a course, UNF has people and resources who can help you get to where you want to go and give you the guidance you need.

UNF offers study abroad to an array of different programs and a variety of scholarships are available. The competitive SAILS scholarship offers up to $2,500 and involves writing three essays and requires a letter of recommendation. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is for students who receive a Federal Pell Grant and offers up to $5000 dollars. There are many more scholarships and aid at your disposal. 

The Study Abroad Alumni Social is Aug. 22 at the Student Union West, room 3804, from 3 to 5 p.m. Here, study abroad alumni will share their experiences. Another study abroad event will be hosted on Sep. 17, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Student Union plaza. Here, you can meet global exchange partners, take a passport photo, and ask any questions you might have. Free refreshments will be provided. It is recommended to be proactive when choosing to study abroad  because processes like getting recommendations, applying, purchasing a passport and an International Student Identity Card can take weeks and be expensive.

__