Women’s tennis starts conference play strong

(Photo by Andrew Noble)

By: Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

UNF women’s tennis will look to stay perfect in conference play this weekend, staying in Jacksonville to play a conference foe.

Before UNF plays cross-town rival JU March 24, the team will travel to Orlando to take on University of Central Florida March 21.

UNF will head into the two contests having won three of its four Spring Break matches.

The Ospreys began the break March 10 with a 7-0 home win over Troy University. UNF’s lone loss of the day came in the No. 1 doubles match, but the team was able to win both the No. 2 and No. 3 and earn the doubles point. The sweep was the first for UNF on the year.

The Ospreys headed into their next match against Georgia State March 12, hoping to start a three-game winning streak.

The Ospreys left Atlanta empty-handed after losing to the Panthers 5-2.

UNF started the day off on the wrong foot, losing the doubles points and continued to struggle against the Panthers. The two points for UNF came from the No. 2 and No. 4 singles matches.

The Ospreys came back to Jacksonville to begin Atlantic Sun play. The team hosted USC Upstate March 16. UNF started the match sweeping the three doubles matches. The team continued its relentless domination over the Spartans, winning five of the six singles matches on its way to a 6-1 win.

UNF hosted ETSU the next day, March 17, in its second A-Sun match of the year. In a repeat performance, the Ospreys defeated the Buccaneers 6-1. ETSU’s only win of the day came from the No. 4 singles match.

UNF is 6-4 on the year and because of her performance in singles matches, Lorena Aviles was named the A-Sun player of the week March 14.

Email Josh Brannock at [email protected].
Follow @spinnakersports