2009 UNF Hall of Fame

The UNF Department of Athletics inducted its 2009 Hall of Fame class Feb. 11 at the UNF Arena.

This year’s class of inductees features a national championship golf team, a former athletic director, and former members of the track, tennis, cross country and baseball teams.  Nancy Miller and Tom Healy became the first former basketball player and former administrator inducted to the hall in its third year of existence.

“This is perhaps the most diverse Hall of Fame Class we have had in the three years of its existence,” former UNF Athletics Director Dr. Richard Gropper said in a press release. “All of these men and women represented UNF in an outstanding manner on and off the field of play and I am proud of the fact that we can honor them for all of their great achievements.”

Casey Cleveland
•    Three-time International Tennis Association All-American (1993, 1994, 1995)
•    Named Academic ITA All-American in 1995 and 1996 (and GTE in 1996)
•    Played on two conference championship and national championship runner-up teams (1993, 1995)

Patty LaMoy
•    Five-time National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics track All-American (three events in 1988 and one event in 1989 and 1990)
•    NAIA All-American in cross-country (1989)
•    Fifth at cross-country nationals with a time of 18 minutes and 14 seconds in 1989

Nancy Miller
•    Has been a part of the UNF women’s basketball team since its inaugural season, playing on the team from 1992-1996 before serving as an assistant coach with the squad for the last 11 seasons
•    First player in UNF history, men’s or women’s, to score 1,000 points
•    All-Sunshine State selection in 1994 (First Team) and 1995 (Second Team)

A.J. Hernandez
•    Helped lead the Ospreys to a third-place finish at the 1991 NAIA College World Series
•    Signed as a free agent with the then-California Angels in 1992
•    Shares the UNF record for runs scored in a season (68)

1993 Golf Team
•    Won four tournaments during the regular season
•    Won the national championship tournament by 55 strokes
•    Featured four first-team NAIA All-Americans

Tom Healy
•    Served as UNF Athletics Director from 1985-1989 and again for a brief time in 1990
•    Was instrumental in building the infrastructure for UNF Athletics
•    Helped create endowed scholarships for the Athletic Department

Compiled by John Weidner.