Spring is here; dress accordingly

Randy Manicca, UNF chemistry student, is a well-dressed man. Photo Courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker
Randy Manicca, UNF chemistry student, is a well-dressed man.  Photo Courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker

Spring is a time when we all pack up our winter attire, purge our closets, and buy shorts and t-shirts. Deciding what to buy and what to pair together isn’t as difficult as some may think.

Gentlemen

With this warm weather, many men go straight for basketball shorts, board shorts or cargos.

It’s time to step it up. Ladies don’t like a lazy looking man. Instead, go for a chino or lightweight fabric short. They are comfortable, breathable, and a lot more versatile than your cargos or other shorts. They also come in many colors and lengths. Go for a pastel or bright color.

Try to stay above the knee. You want your short inseam 7 to 11 inches. This is the average length from your waistline to short distance above the knee. If you refuse to show some leg, chinos or lightweight jeans are great.

Lightweight chinos are the most versatile pants of the season. They can be casual or more upscale, depending on what you pair with them. Go for a polo or button-down if you’re feeling fancy — this is the call to make for a date. Dress them down with a v-neck for a day outdoors.

For jeans, go with a lighter wash slim fit. If you feel your pants are dragging, try a cuff.

Michael Grabowski, UNF pre-law student, reps some boat shoes. Photo courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker
Michael Grabowski, UNF pre-law student, reps some boat shoes.
Photo courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker

“Oh I will just put on a t shirt today.” If you find yourself thinking this, think again. T-shirts are dead. If you must, go for a V-neck: stripes, pastels, or a contrast pocket.

For the gentlemen willing to step outside their comfort zone, go for a button-down. A short sleeve or polo provide comfort and air circulation on those hot days.

For a breezy day, a long sleeve is the way to go. As the day gets progressively hotter, roll up your sleeves. Make sure it’s not above the elbow, though. Rolling too high bunches the sleeves and looks like a wrinkled mess. Stay at a three-quarter roll. All collared shirts can be left un-tucked or tucked in, depending on the look you’re going for — tucked creates a dressier appearance while untucked shows you are just relaxing through the day.

“Sandals: Now that’s a great shoe,” said no stylish guy ever. Come on guys, no one wants to see those toes. If you are going to the beach, wear sandals all the way there. But sandals are not an everyday wear.

Try something you can actually look good in and wear all day. A simple upgrade, like a canvas pair of Vans, will change your whole look. Boat shoes, driving mocs, or loafers are the perfect finish to the man’s spring wardrobe.

Leave the socks at home; no man needs socks in spring! There may be some persperation down there, but don’t worry about that — throw some baby powder in them and you’re good to go.

Julie Thieman, UNF engineering student, dressing for spring.  Photo Courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker
Julie Thieman, UNF engineering student, dressing for spring.
Photo Courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker

Ladies

Those short-shorts are great for the beach, but try to leave a little to the imagination everywhere else. If you wear shorts, go for a longer length. I’m not saying wear mom’s shorts, but if you can see the bottom of your butt cheeks, don’t leave the house. Step into cotton, seersucker, linen and chinos.

Also, you could try a dress; tunic dresses are both stylish and comfortable. Right above the knee or a few inches higher is a good rule of thumb. You can’t go wrong with white or coral this season, they go with any other color.

Don’t feel like showing any leg? Chinos, white jeans or light wash skinny jeans are a fine option.

“Today is a tank top kind of day.” This is a great idea if you’re doing a casual outdoor activity. But in any other situation, try polo’s, oxford cloth button-downs, boyfriend shirts, or a t-shirt with a stripe or bold pattern.

A great addition to your wardrobe for those lingering chilly days is a denim shirt. Denim is always in. All these shirt options can be paired with any pants options mentioned above.

Sarah Lehman, UNF marketing student, shows off her spring footwear choice. Photo courtesy of Garrett Haupt / Spinnaker

Ladies you have so many shoe options — flip-flops should never cross your mind. Go for a simple flat, bright, bold, or nude in color. Sperry’s or boat shoes work well with everything. If you decide on sandals, go for something like a gladiator, or something leather and strappy. Canvas espadrilles, keds or Vans are also a great casual option.

As always, be daring in your wears!