Watches and how to wear them

The contemporary attitude toward timepieces has become, “Cell phones have a clock, why wear a watch?” People are forgetting that watches are a perfect compliment to any outfit, if worn correctly.

Here is a breakdown of how to find a perfect wristwatch.

How they tick.

Most watches run off battery power. Battery-powered watches are great, but it’s important to note the battery has to be changed every five years or so. These batteries can cost anywhere from $35 to $500, depending on the brand.

Automatic watches never need the battery changed because they don’t have a battery. These are powered by a weight that winds a spring as the wearer moves during his or her everyday activities. A nice automatic can cost $150. Luxury automatic watches can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only downfall to automatics is if the watch sits in a drawer, it has to be reset and wound prior to wearing.

Specialty watches, such as Eco-Drive, are powered by natural or artificial light sources. These function similarly to automatic watches as they never need a battery and are easy to maintain. These are a wonderful choice if you are looking for something that involves little maintenance. These run in the $175 to $1000 price range.

Not all watchbands are created equal.

Bands come in all shapes, sizes and materials. A metal band is associated with an all-around nice watch. These can be worn anywhere, from casual events to the office or boardroom — they are simple and timeless. Stainless steel is the best material to look for, as it won’t rust or leave a residue after sweating.

If you are planning to expand your collection, go for a leather band next. These are available in all types of colors. They are also available in animal skins, faux lizard, alligator or other high end finishes, such as matte or shi. Also, leather watchbands don’t always have to match one’s shoes or belt. If you have many shoes in one color, favor a band in that color but don’t restrict yourself to it. Leather bands are considered more dressy than metal.

Go for a NATO strap band to express yourself. They are made of a nylon material and come in hundreds of colors and patterns — anything from camouflage to stripes. They can also be changed quickly, unlike the metal and leather bands. They can be found almost anywhere, from Target to Wal-Mart to any online store.

Now that you have chosen your perfect combination, here’s how to wear it.

Men

You want a watch that fits your wrist. You’re not Flavor Flav. It should not exceed an inch and a half — otherwise it looks unwieldy. Invicta has a bad habit of making huge, overfeatured watches.

Watchbands must be sized if they have a stainless steel band. Sadly, this means you can’t wear it out of the store. Most jewelry stores offer watchband sizing for little or no cost. They will also provide you with the extra links in case you grow.

A watch should fit slightly above the bend in your wrist. This allows the wrist to move. It also provides quick access to the watch face.

It’s better to spend more money on a watch that will last you for many years than to buy a cheap one that will last only a few.

You don’t always have to buy new. Search for a well-working used one if you can’t afford a brand new one.

Stick with brands that have reputable service and are commonly available. Citizen, Movado, Tag Heuer, Seiko and higher-end Timex are all good brands.

Ladies

Choose a watch relative to your wrist size. Larger watches may be in fashion, but go for timeless, not trendy. You want a watch to be an accessory, not the first thing someone sees when they look at you.

Have your band sized to fit if you buy a metal band. A floppy watch is not attractive.

Get creative. Leather bands are very popular in women’s watches, and women have more choices than men with this option.

Spend more on something that will last forever. Some designer watches use the same mechanisms as cheap ones. Look for a high-end watch that will operate well for years to come.

Look for brands like Citizen, Seiko, Casio, Omega and Tag Heuer.