Letter to the editor

As many UNF students set foot on campus Monday morning, they were probably greeted with an intriguing request.

This request came on the form of post-it notes, sidewalk chalk and signs. Two small words, one easy task, simply “ASK LUKE.” Many students may have wondered who Luke is, or if given the opportunity to find Luke, what were they supposed to ask him?

As a UNF student, I found it imperative to let my fellow Ospreys know the truth behind Luke and the simple request posted all over campus by a group of students who have dedicated many hours of their time, in hopes that you all will take a few seconds of yours to hear what they have to say.

Luke is a miracle child who has benefitted from the funds that Children’s Miracle Network raises for the pediatric programs of Shands Jacksonville and Wolfson Children’s Hospital.

Doctors diagnosed Luke with Stage 4 Wilms Tumor, cancer of the Kidneys, at only 2 years old. But Luke isn’t alone, he is one of thousands of local children who have been helped by Children’s Miracle Network.

The students who brought you this interesting request are a part of the Dance Marathon Committee at UNF.

Dance Marathon is a student-run philanthropic event taking place Nov. 20 to Nov. 21 that will raise money for Children’s Miracle Network and our local children’s hospitals.

Last year the UNF Dance Marathon and its participants raised nearly $20,000 for our local children’s hospitals.

The purpose of “ASK LUKE” was to show how easily a simple request can inspire students to participate in an event that goes beyond the university and enables students to work together to benefit the community and our local children.

So my fellow Ospreys, allow me to ask, do you have what it takes?

If a small group of students can come together to have a whole university wonder, imagine what we can accomplish if we all work together.

For the Kids,
Kristin Williams
Political Science, Senior