UNF’s twelve traditions

Saphara Harrell

UNF Tradition, spending the night with Tommy G. Photo by Randy Rataj

UNF Tradition, spending the night with Tommy G.
Photo by Randy Rataj

The Traditions Project spent a year making a list of 12 traditions, which were revealed at the Boathouse Feb. 20.

The event was funded by the Student Life and Services fee, and included a jazz band, food and raffle items.

6.Dr. Lucy Croft, Assistant Vice President of Student affairs announced 3 new traditions. Photo by Randy Rataj

Dr. Lucy Croft, Assistant Vice President of Student affairs announced 3 new traditions.
Photo by Randy Rataj

“One of the things that really stood out in my mind about tonight is that tonight really is a moment in history for the University,” said Lucy Croft, the assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.

“It was right around $5,000 that they put into the advertising, the marketing, the lapel pins, the food, the lemonade and iced tea, jazz ensemble, program booklets.”

“It’s really hard to put numbers on things in the sense of the value of the dollar for the event. To me this event is priceless.” Croft said.

The first three traditions were swoop, the River City Rumble and Blue and Gray Wednesdays.

President John Delaney said the traditions were chosen out of over 1,400 suggestions.

UNF President John Delaney Photo by Randy Rataj

UNF President John Delaney
Photo by Randy Rataj

“Tonight we’re going to celebrate more than 40 years of UNF traditions,” Delaney said.

“You can’t really start a tradition,” Delaney said. “You can start an event, form a habit, you can make it a custom. But after you do it for a period of time then you’ve really developed a tradition.”

Bob Chassman, the alumni association board president, introduced Alumni Third Thursdays, the Boathouse and the Green.

Alumni Third Thursdays are a monthly gathering of UNF alumni. This usually occurs at Seven Bridges Grille and Brewery in Southside.

Kaitlin Ramirez, Economics and History major, and the Senate President Pro – Tempore of SG announced 3 new traditions. Photo by Randy Rataj

Kaitlin Ramirez, Economics and History major, and the Senate President Pro – Tempore of SG announced 3 new traditions.
Photo by Randy Rataj

Kaitlin Ramirez, Senate president pro-tempore, introduced date night with Tommy G, Lip sync, and Ozzie’s Oktoberfest.

“Oktoberfest predates athletics at UNF,” Ramirez said. “It’s a great link between UNF’s past and present.”

Dr. Gordon Kakita, president of the UNF faculty association, introduced the last traditions which included natural environment, public art and creativity, and the Osprey fountain and statue.

Email Saphara Harrell at [email protected]