ENDORSEMENT: Past SG presidents endorse Sami Mims

Mims, left, and Tajmaus Johnson of the Red Party.Photo courtesy the Red Party Facebook

Fellow Ospreys,

On Tuesday, Mar. 7, and Wednesday, Mar. 8, you will head to the polls to cast your vote for the next Student Government President. If we learned anything from the 2016 election it is this: elections have consequences and your vote truly matters.

Since 2003, you have elected Red Party candidates to the SG presidency 10 times. During that period, we carried your voice to new heights through the multiple platforms we used to represent you on campus.

You said you wanted to move away from a commuter campus atmosphere. That’s why we fought to secure funding for our $50 million Student Union, a building that has changed the way Ospreys experience UNF campus life.

You said you wanted a healthier campus, so we worked with President Delaney to build the Student Wellness Center, one of the premiere student gyms in the country.

You said you wanted more outdoors activities, so we worked with Campus Recreation to build a state of the art ropes course.

You said you needed better campus services and amenities, so we added a student lounge just for graduate students, gave every Osprey free printing in the library, secured 24/7 library hours for finals week, and worked with university administrators to bring Chick-Fil-A, Jamba Juice and other national brands to campus.

When the State of Florida made raising tuition a habit, we took a stand at UNF governing board meetings while bringing your concerns to Tallahassee and the governor himself. In 2012, he listened and has nearly frozen all tuition increases since.

These results don’t just happen with any president and any party. They happen when you elect a student who is willing to sacrifice time, energy, and a year of college life to put his or her fellow students first.

Sami Mims is such a student, and that’s why we, eight former Student Government presidents, from multiple parties, have come together to endorse her candidacy.

Sami has the experience, intelligence and dedication required to serve you well in this position. We hope you will give Sami the same chance that was given to us. We believe she has earned the opportunity to serve and will continue to make you, and us, proud to be UNF Ospreys.

Sincerely,

Jerry Watterson 03-05

Tom Foran 05-06

Justin Damiano 06-07                       

Rachael Tutwiler Fortune 07-08

John R. Barnes 08-10

Matt Brockelman 11-12

Joseph Turner 14-15

Shomari Gloster 15

__