UNF Women’s Basketball season preview

Zach Yearwood, Sports Reporter

After a run to the ASUN semifinals last season and a run to the quarterfinals the year before, the team is ready to take the next step and reach the ASUN Championship game. 

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobZXUZDZWQ[/embedyt]

“It’s gonna come down to the detail-oriented things,” UNF Women’s Basketball Head Coach Darrick Gibbs said when speaking about the team’s plan for success. “We understand the concepts of what we need to get done, but we have to pay attention to the small details.”

The entire team has adopted Coach Gibbs’ attention to detail. 

Junior forward,Jazz Bond, is looking to have her best season yet. She was second on the team in points scored last season and put up a .479 shooting percentage along with a .379 three-point percentage.

“In those games, we weren’t doing the little things and I think continuously doing the little things and even in practice… will correlate to the games ahead of us,” Bond said.

After earning an ASUN All-Conference Second Team honors in her sophomore campaign, she has been working tirelessly on her game all offseason and is ready to take over the conference.

The team will travel to Madison, Wisconsin to take on the Wisconsin Badgers on Tuesday, November 5.

Sophomore guard, Tiffany Tolbert, is excited for the upcoming season. She will be on the court for the first time since an injury and described her emotions coming into the game. 

“Just, like, the jitters. But overall, excitement just to be back on the floor with the team,” Tolbert said.

Tolbert played only three games before a season ending injury at practice. In those games, she scored 55 points, averaging 18.3 per game; a statistic that would have led the team. Coach Gibbs and the rest of the team are eager to see her back in action.

Senior guard, Adrienne Jackson, returns this season after averaging 10 points-per-game and was a defensive force in the backcourt, racking up 46 steals.

With attention to detail and a strong starting five, the Ospreys are poised to reach the next level this season. 

__