Lights, Camera, Swoop

Spinnaker

Three lucky UNF students will find themselves headed for Hollywood if they win the competition at UNF.

By: Katie Gile, Staff Writer

If you’ve ever fancied yourself as the next Steven Spielberg, Judd Apatow or even Alfred Hitchcock, dust off those director’s chairs now.

Osprey Productions will welcome Campus MovieFest, the world’s largest student film festival, to UNF Jan. 31.

Teams of currently enrolled UNF students, faculty and staff will have the opportunity to create up-to-five-minute short films to submit for competition.

In preparation for the big event, Osprey Productions will host an information session Jan. 26 at 6 p.m. in the Student Union Lobby, just outside the Game Room. There, hopeful participants will get familiar with the equipment they’ll be using to film and edit for the week.

CMF will provide technical support and equipment, like MacBook Pros or iPad 2s, with the latest editions of iLife and Final Cut Pro installed, as well as Panasonic HD video cameras to capture the magic.

The kickoff of filming week is Jan. 31 from 12-5 p.m. in the Osprey Plaza of the Student Union. There, students can rent the equipment they’ve reserved online and start making movies.

Prior to the the kickoff, anyone wishing to submit a short film must visit campusmoviefest.com to create a profile, register their team and reserve specific equipment.

Each team captain and all crew members must be currently enrolled UNF students or currently working faculty or staff, but cast members may be anyone of the team’s choosing.

The genres include Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Picture and an additional special category.

As an incentive to filmmakers, CMF is partnering with the Elfenworks Foundation to present the category “Elfenworks Social Justice.” This category will focus on social inequalities and injustices in society and the part that fear and hope may play in them. The winner or winners of this category have a chance to win $20,000 in cash grants as well as international viewings of their film.

Each team has until Feb. 6, from 2-6 p.m., to submit their completed short film online at CMF’s website.

From Feb. 6-12, a panel of UNF students, faculty and staff disconnected from competitors will review each film and select the top 16 from the university to present at a special red carpet awards ceremony in the Robinson Theatre Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m. There, students can gussy up, get a photo on the carpet, then enjoy the premiere of the Top 16. Presenters will announce the winners of the Best Drama, Best Comedy and Best Picture awards.

These three winners will advance to the national CMF event in Hollywood, Calif., where they will have numerous networking opportunities with other students, possible elbow-rubbing with celebrities and the chance to see their own short film on a studio lot.

In addition to these prizes, the winner of the Best Picture category will have an opportunity to showcase his or her work at the Cannes Film Festival.

For more information about the MovieFest, check out campusmoviefest.com and get started with the celluloid genius.

Email Katie at [email protected]