Softball goes streaking, sets school record

(Photo by Andrew Noble)

By: Zach Morgan, Contributing Writer

After stopping a seven-game losing streak during Spring Break, the UNF softball team went on a record-breaking, nine-game winning streak.

The team headed into a double header March 26 against conference foe Stetson University to begin conference play with eight straight wins.

The Ospreys began the double header at Stetson like they had in their previous eight games: victorious. The ninth victory set a new Division I softball record at UNF for the longest win streak.

The first matchup between the inner state rivals would prove to be a close, defensive battle that would turn on the swing of a bat.

Both teams had just two hits after the first four innings went scoreless. Marissa Thomas took matters into her own hands with a leadoff shot to left field, and just like that, the Ospreys held a 1-0 lead.

Kaylie Wallace continued her dominance on the mound, pitching her second consecutive shutout.

However, game two would not be as favorable to the Ospreys. Several errors by North Florida gave the Hatters their first four points of the contest, and the wind was knocked out of UNF’s sails.

The proverbial nail in the coffin would come in the sixth inning when Stetson’s Demi Meza hit a three-run shot to center field, and the Hatters’ lead swelled to seven.

Kayla Goff was credited with the loss for the Ospreys after giving up two unearned runs off three hits in one inning of work.

UNF will be looking to rebound from the loss and continue its winning ways when it takes the field again March 28 against the University of Central Florida at the UNF Softball Complex and then again March 30, when UNF plays host to a double-header against A-Sun opponent Lipscomb.

Email Zach Morgan at [email protected].
Follow @spinnakersports