With the new year comes resolutions and helpful tools to achieve our goals

Photo Illustration by Taylor Leckie
Alex Ramone, a UNF neuroscience junior, takes on his new year’s betterment all at once, all day.

What are your new year’s resolutions? To get in better shape, make higher grades or, perhaps, to just get your act together? Whatever they may entail, it is a new year and with that comes new beginnings.

Before the semester gets too demanding, you might want to be reminded of some of the tools around UNF that can benefit you.

Peer Tutoring in the Academic Center for Excellence office (Bldg. 2) takes walk-ins. However, if you need more specialized attention — such as with anything writing related — appointments are available.

For those of you living on campus, there is another tutoring option called Peer Assisted Tutoring in Housing (PATH Program), happening Monday through Thursday from 6-10 p.m. on the second floor of the Library. They accept walk-ins, but if you want a guaranteed spot then you may want to make an appointment.

Maybe you were lucky enough to have received a tablet or laptop this holiday season. If you need a little technical assistance with the UNF network, visit the ITS Help Desk located on the second floor of the Mathews Computer Lab in Bldg. 15, Room 2102, or call 904-620-HELP (4357).

How about a helpful app for your shiny new Apple or Android phone or tablet? The UNF Mobile App can keep you abreast of what’s happening on campus, help you connect with your peers and university staff, and keep you informed of your academic status.

In the same way that staying on top of your college career might be your goal for the new semester, improving your health might be your plan for the new year. The much talked about Student Wellness Complex on campus is a great resource. I know it’s cold outside, but that can’t get you off the hook seeing as this facility has its own indoor track and rock climbing wall, and across from the Wellness Complex is the Aquatic Center with a heated, indoor pool.

With the cold weather upon us, you might need to visit the nurses at Student Health Services. Schedule an appointment in advance by calling 904-620-2900, and don’t forget to show up 10 minutes early to complete the necessary paperwork. They can help you with anything from treating the flu to providing birth control options.

This is your life, and the new year is another chance to make the most of it. May 2013 bring you good health, great times, and high achievements. You have the resources, the technologies and the opportunities to overcome whatever excuses you may come up with.