Inside the Huddle: March 27

Travis Gibson
Sports Editor
Carl Rosen
Sports Copy Editor
Josh Brannock
Staff Reporter
Christian Ayers
Staff Reporter

What do you think of FGCU’s March Madness run to the Sweet 16?

Travis Gibson: It’s crazy to think FGCU’s run would have never happened if UNF had more balanced scoring in the teams first round matchup. One thing’s for sure, the Atlantic Sun Conference is on the map. I expect the Gators to have their way in their Sweet 16 game and end the Eagles’ run.

Carl Rosen: I think it’s inspiring for our conference. UNF gave FGCU a run for their money in the A-Sun Tournament, despite losing, and now look at FGCU doing work on the big stage. If they can do it, it’s possible for a lot of other small conference schools to make a similar run.

Josh Brannock: After drying the tears from my face, because they took out my Final Four team, I realized this is pretty crazy. I’ve seen these guys play in person, and now they’re making highlight reels on ESPN. Just this once, I want to know how FGCU fans feel.

Christian Ayers: FGCU is everything you want in a March Madness darling.

Who is your pick to win the NCAA Basketball Championship?

Travis Gibson: I’d still like Louisville to go all the way. The Cardinals still have the most talent, as well as my favorite coach, Rick Pitino. If it’s not LU, it will be Miami.

Carl Rosen: I’m going with Miami. I think they got shafted by not being ranked No. 1 to begin with, and soon enough they’re going to show they really are numero uno.

Josh Brannock: I flipped a coin 25 times and each time it didn’t land. That was my attempt at saying I have no idea in a deep metaphorical way. I guess Ohio State.

Christian Ayers: I want Marquette to take it all the way, but I’ve got an inkling that Michigan is going to run the table. This is by far the wildest Madness I’ve seen, and who’s better to win than a crazy team of Wolverines?

Can the Miami Heat break the ’72 Lakers’ winning streak?

Travis Gibson: The streak has been magical, especially in a league that is far more balanced than the one the ‘72 Lakers played in. But Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs will bring the streak to a close March 31.

Carl Rosen: Yes, they certainly can. Especially considering the ’72 Lakers didn’t have Lebron James. The man is too good.

Josh Brannock: Just like a horse I say neigh or nay — you pick. Even though as a Heat fan — been on the bandwagon since ‘92 — I’d love to see it. I just can’t imagine them doing it. But hey, I didn’t think they’d even get 27.

Christian Ayers: Of course they can. They’ve got a helluva gauntlet coming up for them, and one can only hope they don’t get to relish in a record like that.